Was the Tiger Woods marriage good while it lasted? More like this: It was good right up until Tiger's secret life of serial infidelity was exposed to Elin and the world. It sure looked like a good marriage in real time, however.
Here are some of the key points in the history of the Elin and Tiger Woods marriage:
- Tiger Woods and Elin Nordegren were introduced at the 2001 British Open by golfer Jesper Parnevik, for whom Elin worked at the time as an au pair.
- Woods asked Nordegren to marry him in late November 2003 in South Africa, where the couple stayed on safari following Tiger's appearance in the Presidents Cup.
- The Elin and Tiger Woods wedding took place on Oct. 5, 2004, in Barbados (click the preceding link for details).
- The Woodses moved into a luxury country club community of Iselworth in Windermere, Fla. (They later purchased a home and property in Jupiter Island, Fla., but divorced before renovations were completed.)
- The Woods' first child, daughter Sam Alexis, was born on June 18, 2007.
- The second child of the Elin and Tiger Woods marriage was son Charlie Axel, born on February 8, 2009.
- In late November 2009 the Tiger Woods marriage began unraveling in the aftermath of a single-car accident the golfer was involved in outside the couple's Florida home. The accident brought rumors of infidelity by Woods into the mainstream media, and a succession of claims about Woods' serial infidelity followed. (See Tiger Woods scandals)
- In statements released on his Web site and in an appearance on Feb. 19, 2010, Woods acknowledged infidelity, said he was undergoing counseling, and made remarks suggesting the couple was trying to keep the marriage together. Elin never made any public remarks during this time period.
- On July 3, 2010, Tiger and Elin finalized an agreement between themselves to divorce.
- The Elin Nordegren and Tiger Woods marriage officially ended on Aug. 23, 2010, when a divorce decree was entered in Bay County Circuit Court in Panama City, Fla.
The Elin-Tiger Woods marriage lasted just under seven years. During that time, their public persona was one of marital bliss. Outwardly, they appeared a very happy and committed couple.
Return to the Tiger Woods FAQ index