About Tommy Gainey:
Gainey's unorthodox swing and quiet but pronounced Southern drawl endeared him to Golf Channel viewers. And he went on from those experiences to forge a successful golf career.
Below is information about golfer Tommy Gainey, some from the biographies that the Golf Channel distributed during his Big Break appearances, and more from About.com about Gainey's PGA Tour and Nationwide Tour successes.
Place of birth: Darlington, S.C.
Hobbies: Shooting pool, listening to music, basketball
Nickname: "Two Gloves"
Why is he called 'Two Gloves'?
Because he wears two golf gloves, of course. Gainey wears black, wet-weather golf gloves, one on each hand, at all times when playing golf - even while putting. Gainey's first sport was baseball, where wearing two batting gloves is common. He simply transferred that practice to golf when he picked up this sport.
Tommy Two Gloves Gets Going:
Amateur/Professional: Before his appearances on Big Break, Gainey played a variety of mini-tours, including the Gateway Tour, Carolinas Tarheel Tour, US Golf Tour, and he also played on the Hooters Tour, the third-level American men's tour. After his appearances on Big Break, Gainey steadily climbed the ranks, earning Nationwide Tour appearances and status, and then PGA Tour status. More details below on Gainey's PGA Tour/Nationwide Tour accomplishments.
Highlights from Gainey's Golf Channel Bio:
- "A small-town golfer hailing from small-town USA, the South Carolina drawl hangs on Tommy Gainey's lips like Spanish moss on a live oak. His approach is straightforward, a philosophy about life that mirrors his take on golf that tells him to just trust it and hit it."
- "This self-made golfer has got game ... having once shot a 59 during a friendly round with some Nationwide Tour buddies. He missed a 12-footer for birdie that would have given him a score of 58, but he was more concerned about not making birdie."
- "Having lived in Bishopville (S.C.) all his life, Tommy had to find ways to keep playing the game he loves while also trying to make a living. He wasn't recruited out of high school because he had no connections of his own and, as he says, 'Small towns get overlooked.' "
- "He spent years working as an assembly line worker in a water heater factory and a furniture mover to keep money in his pocket and earn enough to play a round of golf when he could. Finances always were an obstacle. It finally took a friend willing to risk $750 so Tommy could play in his first professional event. Fortunately, Tommy was able to make that money back, and then some, by winning the event and $15,000."
Two Gloves Reaches the Big Time:
See also: Top 5 Big Break Alums
Tommy Gainey Web Sites and Headlines:
Tommy Gainey's PGA Tour profile
About.com Headlines about Tommy Two Gloves
Over the years, since his first Big Break appearance, we've noted some of Gainey's breakthroughs. Some of those About.com headlines include (in chronologic order, starting with the earliest):
- A win for Tommy Two Gloves
- Two Gloves plays his way into Wachovia
- Tommy Two Gloves wins Big Break VII
- Gainey chooses family over Tour stop
- Tommy Two Gloves headlines Q-School grads
- Good breaks for Nitties, Gainey
- Tommy Two Gloves wins on Nationwide Tour
- Another Nationwide win for Tommy Two Gloves
- Tommy Two Gloves shoots 60 to win on PGA Tour