About the WGC Cadillac Championship:
The WGC Cadillac Championship debuted as part of the World Golf Championships series in 1999. The tournament originally rotated from course to course each year, but beginning in 2007 became permanently housed at the Doral Country Club in Doral, Fla., and has replaced that site's previous event, the Doral Open, on the PGA Tour schedule.
The event became known as the Cadillac Championship beginning in 2011 when the auto brand replaced CA as title sponsor. The Cadillac Championship is a limited-field event with entry determined mostly by money list ranking, but also by FedEx Cup points and World Ranking points.
Patrick Reed won the tournament by one stroke, shooting 4-under 284. That was the highest winning score in the history of the tournament, as golfers struggled during the week with high winds and firm conditions at Doral. Runners-up Bubba Watson and Jamie Donaldson were the only other players under par.
Tiger Woods won this tournament for the seventh time, finishing two strokes ahead of runner-up Steve Stricker. It was Stricker who gave Woods a putting lesson prior to the tournament, and Tiger had an exception week putting. It was Woods' 76th career PGA Tour victory and his 17th win in a WGC event.
WGC Cadillac Championship Records:
- Overall: 261 - Tiger Woods, 2006
- Tournament course record: 62 - Bubba Watson, 2012; Sergio Garcia, Retief Goosen, 2002
WGC Cadillac Championship Golf Courses:
The WGC Cadillac Championship is now played at Doral Resort & Spa's Doral Country Club, on the Blue Course, in Doral, Fla. The tournament moved permanently to this site in 2007. Prior to that, the tourney rotated to courses around the world:
- Valderrama Golf Club, Valderrama, Spain (1999-2000)
- Mount Juliet Conrad Estate, Thomastown, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland (2002, 2004)
- Capital City Club, Crabapple Course, Atlanta, Ga. (2003)
- Harding Park Golf Course, San Francisco, Calif. (2005)
- The Grove, Hertfordshire, England (2006)
Tournament Trivia and Notes:
- When Tiger Woods won this event for the sixth time in 2007, it was only the eighth time the tournament had been played. At that point, Wood had won the tournament 75-percent of its young history.
- Woods didn't win again until 2013, making that is seventh victory in this tournament.
- In 2010, Ernie Els won the CA Championship for the second time, joining Woods as the only multiple winners to date.
- The tournament was canceled in 2001 in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in the United States.
WGC Cadillac Championship Winners:
WGC Cadillac Championship
2014 - Patrick Reed, 284
2013 - Tiger Woods, 269
2012 - Justin Rose, 272
2011 - Nick Watney, 272
WGC CA Championship
2010 - Ernie Els, 270
2009 - Phil Mickelson, 269
2008 - Geoff Ogilvy, 271
2007 - Tiger Woods, 270
WGC American Express Championship
2006 - Tiger Woods, 261
2005 - Tiger Woods-p, 270
2004 - Ernie Els, 270
2003 - Tiger Woods, 274
2002 - Tiger Woods, 263
2001 - No Tournament
2000 - Mike Weir, 277
1999 - Tiger Woods-p, 278