About the Wells Fargo Championship:
PGA Tour rookie Derek Ernst won for the first time in a playoff over David Lynn. Ernst and Lynn entered the playoff tied at 8-under 280, but Ernst won on the first playoff hole. Ernst entered the tournament ranked No. 1,207 in the world rankings. Phil Mickelson bogied the 16th and 17th holes to fall to third place.
2012 Wells Fargo Championship
Rickie Fowler birdied the first playoff hole to claim his first career win on the PGA Tour. Fowler finished regulation at 14-under, tied with Rory McIlroy and D.A. Points. Points could have won it on the 72nd with a par, but bogied; McIlroy could have won it in regulation with a birdie, but parred. Then, on the first playoff hole, Fowler stuck a wedge about 4 feet from the cup. After McIlroy and Points missed their putts, Fowler made his for the win. Photos: Fowler's Win
PGA Tour Wells Fargo Championship Records:
- Overall: 272 - Anthony Kim, 2008
- 18 holes: 62 - Rory McIlroy, 2010
PGA Tour Wells Fargo Championship Golf Courses:
The Quail Hollow Club was previously the site of the PGA Tour Kemper Open (1969-79) and the Champions Tour PaineWebber Invitational (1983-1989).
Tournament Trivia and Notes:
- This tournament debuted in 2003 as the Wachovia Championship, and David Toms was the first winner. This wasn't the first tournament played at North Carolina's Quail Hollow Club, however. As noted above, the PGA Tour Kemper Open and Champions Tour PaineWebber Invitational were played at Quail Hollow in decades past.
- In the Wells Fargo Championship's brief history, there has yet to be a two-time winner. But Jim Furyk came close. Furyk lost a playoff to Vijay Singh at the 2005 tournament, then won the 2006 tournament by beating Trevor Immelman in a playoff.
- Sergio Garcia led that 2005 tournament by six strokes at the start of the final round, only to lose in the playoff. That shares the PGA Tour record for largest lead at the start of the final round by a player who did not win.
- Furyk's playoff win in 2006 marked the third straight year the tournament required extra holes. The streak began in 2004 with Joey Sindelar's playoff win.
- Anthony Kim's first career win on the PGA Tour happened at the 2008 Wachovia Championship.
- And Rory McIlroy got his first win on the USPGA at the 2010 tournament.
PGA Tour Wells Fargo Championship Winners:
Wells Fargo Championship
2013 - Derek Ernst-p, 280
2012 - Rickie Fowler-p, 274
2011 - Lucas Glover-p, 273
Quail Hollow Championship
2010 - Rory McIlroy, 273
2009 - Sean O'Hair, 277
2008 - Anthony Kim, 272
2007 - Tiger Woods, 275
2006 - Jim Furyk-p, 276
2005 - Vijay Singh-p, 276
2004 - Joey Sindelar-p, 277
2003 - David Toms, 278