About the Wells Fargo Championship:
The Wells Fargo Championship, formerly known as the Wachovia Championship and Quail Hollow Championship, is one of the Spring events on the PGA Tour schedule. The event is usually played early in May and serves as a lead-in to The Players Championship.
2015 Wells Fargo Championship
- When: May 14-17
- Where: Quail Hollow Club in Charlotte, North Carolina
J.B. Holmes won for the first time since 2008, holding off a charging Jim Furyk by one stroke. Holmes won the FBR Open in both 2006 and 2008, but in 2011 underwent brain surgery. His win here capped his personal comeback and was the third of his PGA Tour career. Furyk closed with a 65 to Holmes' 71, but after starting the day seven shots behind Holmes finished it in second place, one behind.
PGA Tour Wells Fargo Championship Records:
- Overall: 272 - Anthony Kim, 2008
- 18 holes: 62 - Rory McIlroy, 2010
PGA Tour Wells Fargo Championship Golf Courses:
Since its inception in 2003, the Wells Fargo Championship has been played at Quail Hollow Club, a private club in Charlotte, N.C. When Wachovia withdrew as title sponsor after the 2008 tournament, the event took the name of its host course for two years.
The Quail Hollow Club was previously the site of the PGA Tour Kemper Open (1969-79) and the Champions Tour PaineWebber Invitational (1983-1989).
Tournament Trivia and Notes:
- This tournament debuted in 2003 as the Wachovia Championship, and David Toms was the first winner. This wasn't the first tournament played at North Carolina's Quail Hollow Club, however. As noted above, the PGA Tour Kemper Open and Champions Tour PaineWebber Invitational were played at Quail Hollow in decades past.
- In the Wells Fargo Championship's brief history, there has yet to be a two-time winner. But Jim Furyk came close. Furyk lost a playoff to Vijay Singh at the 2005 tournament, then won the 2006 tournament by beating Trevor Immelman in a playoff.
- Sergio Garcia led that 2005 tournament by six strokes at the start of the final round, only to lose in the playoff. That shares the PGA Tour record for largest lead at the start of the final round by a player who did not win.
- Furyk's playoff win in 2006 marked the third straight year the tournament required extra holes. The streak began in 2004 with Joey Sindelar's playoff win.
- Anthony Kim's first career win on the PGA Tour happened at the 2008 Wachovia Championship.
- Rory McIlroy got his first win on the USPGA at the 2010 tournament.
- And Rickie Fowler added his first PGA Tour victory here in 2012.
- The 2005 tournament was the final one in Tiger Woods' streak of 142 tournaments without missing a cut. Woods missed the cut in his next event, the 2005 Byron Nelson Championship.
PGA Tour Wells Fargo Championship Winners:
(p-won in playoff)
Wells Fargo Championship
2014 - J.B. Holmes, 274
2013 - Derek Ernst-p, 280
2012 - Rickie Fowler-p, 274
2011 - Lucas Glover-p, 273
Quail Hollow Championship
2010 - Rory McIlroy, 273
2009 - Sean O'Hair, 277
2008 - Anthony Kim, 272
2007 - Tiger Woods, 275
2006 - Jim Furyk-p, 276
2005 - Vijay Singh-p, 276
2004 - Joey Sindelar-p, 277
2003 - David Toms, 278