About the PGA Tour Players Championship:
When: May 8-11
Where: TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Twelve years after his first win at TPC Sawgrass, Tiger Woods added victory No. 2 in The Players. Woods' finishing 70 was good enough for a 275 total and 2-stroke victory over Kevin Streelman, Jeff Maggert and David Lingmerth. That was despite a terrible hole on No. 14, where Woods hit into the water and made double-bogey. But he birdied the 16th, and Sergio Garcia - who birdied the 17th to tie Woods - collapsed on the last two holes, playing then 6-over.
2012 Players Championship
Matt Kuchar bogied the first hole and the 17th hole of his final round, but made four birdies in-between en route to a solid 70 and 2-stroke victory. Kuchar finished at 13-under 275, two shots ahead of Rickie Fowler, Martin Laird, Zach Johnson and Ben Curtis. Third-round leader Kevin Na finished with a 74 and fell to seventh place.
PGA Tour Players Championship Records:
- Overall: 264 - Greg Norman, 1994
- Tournament course record: 63 - Fred Couples, 1992; Greg Norman, 1994; Roberto Castro, 2013
Records for the 17th hole
PGA Tour Players Championship Golf Courses:
TPC Sawgrass course profile and history
• TPC Sawgrass pictures
Other Host Courses
- Atlanta Country Club, Marietta, Ga., 1974
- Colonial Country Club, Fort Worth, Texas, 1975
- Inverrary G&CC, Lauderhill, Fla., 1976
- Sawgrass Country Club, Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., 1977-81
PGA Tour Players Championship Trivia and Notes:
- The Players Championship was first played in 1974, when it was known as the Tournament Players Championship. It was played under that name until 1988, when the name changed to The Player Championship.
- Jack Nicklaus won that first tournament in 1974.
- Nicklaus also won in 1976 and 1978, and is the only three-time winner of this event.
- The Players Championship has never had a back-to-back winner.
- Two-time champions are Fred Couples (1984, 1996), Hal Sutton (1983, 2000), Davis Love III (1992, 2003), Steve Elkington (1991, 1997) and Tiger Woods (2001, 2013).
- Jerry Pate (1982) was the first winner at TPC Sawgrass.
- Fuzzy Zoeller posted the second-lowest 72-hole total in tournament history in 1994. Unfortunately for Fuzzy, Greg Norman posted the lowest total that same year. Norman shot 264, Zoeller 268.
- Arnold Palmer made the cut in the 1985 Players Championship when he was 55 years, 172 days old - the second-oldest player to make the cut here. Ten years earlier, Julius Boros made the cut in the 1975 tournament at age 55 years, 174 days - two days older than Palmer was in 1985.
- Only one golfer in tournament history has birdied the island-green 17th hole at TPC Sawgrass in all four rounds of the same tourney. Paul Azinger did it in 1987.
PGA Tour Players Championship Winners:
2013 - Tiger Woods, 275
2012 - Matt Kuchar, 275
2011 - K.J. Choi, 275
2010 - Tim Clark, 272
2009 - Henrik Stenson, 276
2008 - Sergio Garcia-p, 283
2007 - Phil Mickelson, 277
Full List of Players Championship Winners