About the PGA Tour Players Championship:
Outside of the four golf majors, The Players Championship is considered the most important tournament on tour. It is considered the PGA Tour's major (the four traditional majors are run by organizations other than the PGA Tour) and some believe it will eventually be accorded full major status (while others scoff at that idea). But The Players Championship is definitely the premier event on tour, outside of the majors.
- Issue: The Players Championship as a major
- Your Turn: Will The Players Championship achieve major status?
Martin Kaymer tied the tournament scoring record with a 63 in the first round, and went on to win by one stroke. It was Kaymer's first victory since 2011. Kaymer shot 71 in the final round and won by a stroke over Jim Furyk, who nearly caught him with a 66. Twenty-year-old Jordan Spieth, who began the final round tied for the lead with Kaymer, shot 74 and finished three behind.
Twelve years after his first win at TPC Sawgrass, Tiger Woods added victory No. 2 in The Players. Woods' finishing 70 was good enough for a 275 total and 2-stroke victory over Kevin Streelman, Jeff Maggert and David Lingmerth. That was despite a terrible hole on No. 14, where Woods hit into the water and made double-bogey. But he birdied the 16th, and Sergio Garcia - who birdied the 17th to tie Woods - collapsed on the last two holes, playing then 6-over.
PGA Tour Players Championship Records:
- Overall: 264 - Greg Norman, 1994
- Tournament course record: 63 - Fred Couples, 1992; Greg Norman, 1994; Roberto Castro, 2013; Martin Kaymer, 2014
PGA Tour Players Championship Golf Courses:
The Players Championship is played annually on the Stadium Course at TPC Sawgrass, a golf course built specifically to host this tournament. TPC Sawgrass, in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., featured the famous island green par-3 at No. 17 and is considered one of the tougher golf courses in America. It has been the site of The Players Championship since 1982.
• TPC Sawgrass course profile and history
• TPC Sawgrass pictures
Other Host Courses
- Atlanta Country Club, Marietta, Ga., 1974
- Colonial Country Club, Fort Worth, Texas, 1975
- Inverrary G&CC, Lauderhill, Fla., 1976
- Sawgrass Country Club, Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., 1977-81
PGA Tour Players Championship Trivia and Notes:
- The Players Championship was first played in 1974, when it was known as the Tournament Players Championship. It was played under that name until 1988, when the name changed to The Player Championship.
- Jack Nicklaus won that first tournament in 1974.
- Nicklaus also won in 1976 and 1978, and is the only three-time winner of this event.
- The Players Championship has never had a back-to-back winner.
- Two-time champions are Fred Couples (1984, 1996), Hal Sutton (1983, 2000), Davis Love III (1992, 2003), Steve Elkington (1991, 1997) and Tiger Woods (2001, 2013).
- Jerry Pate (1982) was the first winner at TPC Sawgrass.
- Fuzzy Zoeller posted the second-lowest 72-hole total in tournament history in 1994. Unfortunately for Fuzzy, Greg Norman posted the lowest total that same year. Norman shot 264, Zoeller 268.
- Arnold Palmer made the cut in the 1985 Players Championship when he was 55 years, 172 days old - the second-oldest player to make the cut here. Ten years earlier, Julius Boros made the cut in the 1975 tournament at age 55 years, 174 days - two days older than Palmer was in 1985.
- Only one golfer in tournament history has birdied the island-green 17th hole at TPC Sawgrass in all four rounds of the same tourney. Paul Azinger did it in 1987.
- In 2014, the tournament switched from a sudden-death playoff format to a 3-hole, aggregate-score format. The three holes played are Nos. 16, 17 and 18.
PGA Tour Players Championship Winners:
2014 - Martin Kaymer, 275
2013 - Tiger Woods, 275
2012 - Matt Kuchar, 275
2011 - K.J. Choi, 275
2010 - Tim Clark, 272
Full List of Players Championship Winners