About the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open:
This event is most famous as the site of Tiger Woods' first PGA Tour victory.
When: Oct. 17-20
Where: TPC Summerlin, Las Vegas, Nevada
*Tournament isn't part of 2013 PGA Tour season, but rather is part of the 2013-14 season schedule that begins in October of 2013.
2012 Shriners Open
Ryan Moore opened with a 61 in the first round and went on to win the tournament by one stroke over Brendon de Jonge. Moore's 61 tied the tournament 18-hole for its current course (TPC Summerlin), and Moore's winning total established a new tournament record regardless of course. It was Moore's second career win. John Daly was in contention through two rounds, but blew up with a third-round 86 and finished last.
Shriners Hospitals for Children Open Records:
- 72 holes: 260, Ryan Moore, 2012
- 90 holes: 328, Stuart Appleby, Scott McCarron, 2003
- 18 holes: 59 - Chip Beck, 1991 at Sunrise Country Club. Current course (TPC Summerlin) record is 61 by Davis Love III in 2001 and Ryan Moore in 2012
Shriners Hospitals for Children Open Golf Courses:
- Desert Inn Country Club
- Spanish Trail Golf & Country Club
- Sunrise Golf Club
- Las Vegas Country Club
- Las Vegas Hilton Country Club
- Southern Highlands Golf Club
- Bear's Best Golf Club
- TPC Las Vegas
Tournament Trivia and Notes:
- As stated in the intro, this tournament is most famous as the site of Tiger Woods' first PGA Tour victory. It happened in 1996, when the tournament was known as the Las Vegas Invitational. Woods shot 64 in the final round to tie Davis Love III, then won the trophy with a par on the first playoff hole.
- And its second-most famous moment occured in 1991, when Chip Beck became the second golfer in PGA Tour history to shoot 59. It happened in the third round. Beck didn't win, however, finishing two strokes out of a playoff.
- That final-round 64 shot by Woods in 1996 happened in the fifth round. This event, for much of its history, was five rounds in duration. It 2004, it was reduced to the more traditional four rounds.
- A year before Tiger's first win, Jim Furyk's first career PGA Tour win happened here in the 1995 Las Vegas Invitational.
- Furyk has won twice more, giving him three career titles in Las Vegas and making him the only multiple winner of the championship.
- The event was first played in 1983 (as five rounds) and was won by Fuzzy Zoeller.
- Several players share the PGA Tour record of eight consecutive birdies. Jerry Kelly is one of them, and he accomplished the feat in this tournament in 2003, in the third round.
- The last of Bruce Lietzke's 13 PGA Tour wins came in the 1994 Las Vegas Invitational.
- Jonathan Byrd's win in 2010 came with one swing: He aced the fourth playoff hole.
- At the 2012 tourney, John Daly followed his second-round 63 with an 86 in the third round - a difference of 23 strokes. That is believed to be one of the largest gaps between consecutive rounds in PGA Tour history.
Shriners Hospitals for Children Open - Past Champions:
Justin Timberlake Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
2012 - Ryan Moore, 260
2011 - Kevin Na, 261
2010 - Jonathan Byrd-p, 263
2009 - Martin Laird-p, 265
2008 - Marc Turnesa, 263
2007 - George McNeill, 264
2006 - Troy Matteson, 265
Michelin Championship at Las Vegas
2005 - Wes Short Jr.-p, 266
2004 - Andre Stolz, 266
Invensys Classic at Las Vegas
2003 - Stuart Appleby-p, 328
2002 - Phil Tataurangi, 330
2001 - Bob Estes, 329
2000 - Billy Andrade, 332
Las Vegas Invitational
1999 - Jim Furyk, 331
1998 - Jim Furyk, 335
1997 - Bill Glasson, 340
1996 - Tiger Woods-p, 332
1995 - Jim Furyk, 331
1994 - Bruce Lietzke, 332
1993 - Davis Love III, 331
1992 - John Cook, 334
1991 - Andrew Magee-p, 329
1990 - Bob Tway-p, 334
1989 - Scott Hoch-p, 336
Panasonic Las Vegas Invitational
1988 - Gary Koch-w, 274
1987 - Paul Azinger-w, 271
1986 - Greg Norman, 333
1985 - Curtis Strange, 338
1984 - Denis Watson, 341
Panasonic Las Vegas Pro-Celebrity Classsic
1983 - Fuzzy Zoeller, 340