About the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals Classic:
The PGA Tour Children's Miracle Network Hospitals Classic was played from 1971 through 2012 under several different names, some of them including the Disney brand. It was last played in 2012 as the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals Classic, but when that organization decided not to return - and when the tournament lost its traditional spot on the schedule as the season-ender - the event was discontinued.
The Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., was always been the host location for this tournament, which was played over the resort's two golf courses, and for that reason the event was often known simply as "The Disney," regardless of what its official name was at any given time.
For a short period of time early in its history, this tournament was a 2-man team event. In later year, the Disney tournament usually served as the season-ending event on the PGA Tour schedule.
Children's Miracle Network Classic Records:
- 72 holes: 262, John Huston, 1992
- 18 holes: Palm Course - 60, Justin Rose, 2006; Magnolia Course - 61, Payne Stewart, 1990
Children's Miracle Network Classic Golf Courses:
When this tournament debuted in 1971, it was played over two courses at the Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., the Palm course and the Magnolia course. And those two courses remained the tournament site(s) throughout.
In some years, however, two other tracks also hosted rounds during tournament play - the Lake Buena Vista course and the Eagle Pines course, both also part of the Disney resort.
Children's Miracle Network Classic Trivia and Notes:
- When this tournament debuted in 1971, it was known as the Walt Disney World Open Invitational. Other tourney names that included Disney were the Walt Disney World National Team Championship, the Walt Disney World Golf Classic, the Walt Disney World/Oldsmobile Classic, the National Car Rental Golf Classic at Walt Disney World Resort, the Disney Golf Classic, and the Funai Golf Classic at Walt Disney World Resort. While Disney continues to be the location of the tournament, since 2007 the Disney name has been absent from the tournament title.
- Jack Nicklaus won the first tournament in 1971. And the second. And then the third. Nicklaus remains the only 3-time winner here.
- The second PGA Tour victory of Tiger Woods' career happened at the 1996 Walt Disney World/Oldsmobile Classic. Woods pipped Payne Stewart by one stroke.
- Following Nicklaus' three straight wins from 1971-73, the tournament switched to a 2-man team format in 1974. That format continued through the 1981 tournament.
- A couple of family pairings came close to winning during the team years. Sam Snead and nephew J.C. Snead finished second in 1974 (Ed Sneed - different spelling and no relation - was part of the other team that tied for second that year); in 1978, brothers Lanny Wadkins and Bobby Wadkins finished second.
- And in 1980, brothers Danny Edwards and David Edwards won the tournament.
- In addition to Nicklaus, one other golfer has won this event in back-to-back years: Tim Simpson in 1989-90.
Children's Miracle Network Hospitals Classic - Past Champions:
(p-playoff; w-weather shortened)
Children's Miracle Network Hospitals Classic
2012 - Charlie Beljan, 272
2011 - Luke Donald, 271
Children's Miracle Network Classic
2010 - Robert Garrigus, 267
2009 - Stephen Ames, 270
2008 - Davis Love III, 263
2007 - Stephen Ames, 271
Funai Golf Classic at Walt Disney World Resort
2006 - Joe Durant, 263
2005 - Lucas Glover, 265
2004 - Ryan Palmer, 266
2003 - Vijay Singh, 265
Disney Golf Classic
2002 - Bob Burns, 263
National Car Rental Golf Classic at Walt Disney World Resort
2001 - Jose Coceres, 265
2000 - Duffy Waldorf, 262
1999 - Tiger Woods, 271
1998 - John Huston, 272
Walt Disney World/Oldsmobile Classic
1997 - David Duval-p, 270
1996 - Tiger Woods, 267
1995 - Brad Bryant-w, 198
1994 - Rick Fehr, 265
1993 - Jeff Maggert, 265
1992 - John Huston, 262
1991 - Mark O'Meara, 267
1990 - Tim Simpson, 264
1989 - Tim Simpson, 272
1988 - Bob Lohr-p, 263
1987 - Larry Nelson, 268
1986 - Raymond Floyd-p, 275
1985 - Lanny Wadkins, 267
Walt Disney World Golf Classic
1984 - Larry Nelson, 266
1983 - Payne Stewart, 269
1982 - Hal Sutton-p, 269
Walt Disney World National Team Championship
1981 - Vance Heafner/Mike Holland, 264
1980 - Danny Edwards/David Edwards, 253
1979 - George Burns/Ben Crenshaw, 255
1978 - Wayne Levi/Bob Mann, 254
1977 - Gibby Gilbert/Grier Jones, 253
1976 - Woody Blackburn/Bill Kratzert-p, 260
1975 - Jim Colbert/Dean Refram, 252
1974 - Hubert Green/Mac McLendon, 255
Walt Disney World Open Invitational
1973 - Jack Nicklaus, 275
1972 - Jack Nicklaus, 267
1971 - Jack Nicklaus, 273