About the HSBC Champions Tournament:
The HSBC Champions uses qualifying criteria from the WGC series, based primarily on wins in big events and world rankings. The field is 78 golfers and there is no cut.
Dustin Johnson set a new tournament scoring record of 264 in winning his first WGC event. Johnson carded three rounds of 66 or lower. He finished three strokes ahead of runner-up Ian Poulter, who was also defending champion. It was also Poulter whose scoring record Johnson bested.
2012 HSBC Champions
Ian Poulter closed with a 65 to claim the 2012 title by two strokes. Poulter finished at 21-under 267, a new 72-hole scoring record for the event. Jason Dufner, Scott Piercy, Phil Mickelson and Ernie Els tied for second place. For Poulter, it was his second PGA Tour win and 12th European Tour win.
HSBC Champions Records:
18 holes: 60 - Brandt Snedeker, 2012
HSBC Champions Courses:
HSBC Champions Trivia and Notes:
- The HSBC Champions tournament was first played in 2005 as a cosanctioned event on the European and Asian tours. It was given WGC status beginning with the 2009 tournament.
- Beginning with the 2010 tournament, the PGA Tour counted the HSBC Champions as an official win on the U.S. tour, as well, although the tournament followed the completion of the PGA Tour's schedule. ... Until 2013, that is, when the PGA Tour switched to a wraparound schedule, bringing this event into the early portion of its schedule.
- When the tournament was first played in 2005, it was the season-opening event on the 2006 European Tour schedule. The Euro Tour used to follow at November-through-November calendar. Today, the Euro Tour follows the standard calendar year, so the HSBC Champions - still played in November - is now a late-season Euro Tour tournament.
- David Howell won the inaugural HSBC Champions in 2005, holding off runner-up Tiger Woods.
- Woods was runner-up again in 2006, when Y.E. Yang won. It was Yang's first victory outside of the Asian and Japan tours (although the Asian Tour was a cosponsor at that time). A couple years later, Yang held off Woods again to win the 2009 PGA Championship.
- Phil Mickelson was the first golfer to win the event twice (2007, 2009).
Winners of the WGC HSBC Champions Golf Tournament:
2012 - Ian Poulter, 267
2011 - Martin Kaymer, 268
2010 - Franceso Molinari, 269
2009 - Phil Mickelson, 271
2008 - Sergio Garcia, 274
2007 - Phil Mickelson, 278
2006 - Y.E. Yang, 274
2005 - David Howell, 268