About the Honda Classic:
When: Feb. 27-March 2
Where: Champion Course at PGA National Resort & Spa in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Michael Thompson and Geoff Ogilvy finished 1-2 after both carded 69s in the final round, but Thompson won by two strokes. Thompson, a past U.S. Open runner-up, won for the first time on the PGA Tour.
2012 Honda Classic
Rory McIlroy cruised to victory with a final round of 1-under par to finish at 12-under 268 and win by two strokes. It was McIlroy's third career win on the PGA Tour. Tiger Woods carded a 62 in the final round to rocket up the leaderboard and finish tied for second with Tom Gillis.
PGA Tour Honda Classic Records:
- Overall record: 264 - Justin Leonard, 2003 (63-70-64-67)
- Tournament 18-hole record: 61 - Brian Harman, 2012
PGA Tour Honda Classic Golf Courses:
In the early days of this tournament, the host course was Inverrary Golf and Country Club (East Course) in Lauderhill, Fla., and "Inverrary" was part of the tournament's name from 1972 through 1983.
Other host courses in this event's history:
- TPC Eagle Trace, Coral Springs, Fla.
- Weston Hills Golf and Country Club, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
- TPC Heron Bay, Coral Springs, Fla.
- Country Club at Mirasol, Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.
PGA Tour Honda Classic Trivia and Notes:
- The Honda Classic debuted on the PGA Tour in 1972 as Jackie Gleason's Inverrary Classic (Inverrary being the name of the host course). Gleason's name was in the title until 1980, and "Inverrary" until 1983.
- Jack Nicklaus won the Honda Classic twice, in 1977 and 1978, and is the only back-to-back champion. Both his wins were notable, too. In 1977, he beat Gary Player by five strokes, still the largest margin of victory in this event. And in 1978, he won by finishing with five consecutive birdies. That's the PGA Tour record for most consecutive birdies to finish a tournament and take the win.
- Before The Players Championship settled into its permanent home at TPC Sawgrass, it rotated among courses. In 1976, The Players Championship took place at Inverrary. Jack Nicklaus won the TPC that year, and on the Honda Classic official Web site Nicklaus is therefore credited with three wins in this tournament. However, that 1976 victory was in The Players Championship, not in the Inverrary Classic, and official PGA Tour records list the Inverrary Classic as "not played" in 1976.
- Tom Weiskopf won this event's first playing in 1972, edging Nicklaus by a stroke, one of three runner-up finishes for the Golden Bear. Payne Stewart finished second five times in the Honda Classic, without winning.
- Aside from Nicklaus, the other 2-time winners of this tournament are Johnny Miller (1980, 1983) and Mark Calcavecchia (1987, 1998).
- In his 2005 victory, Padraig Harrington opened with a 73 and closed with a 63, thereby setting two tournament records: highest first-round score by a winner, and lowest final-round score by a winner.
PGA Tour Honda Classic Winners:
The Honda Classic
2013 - Michael Thompson, 271
2012 - Rory McIlroy, 268
2011 - Rory Sabbatini, 271
2010 - Camilo Villegas, 267
2009 - Y.E. Yang, 271
2008 - Ernie Els, 274
2007 - Mark Wilson-p, 275
2006 - Luke Donald, 276
2005 - Padraig Harrington-p, 274
2004 - Todd Hamilton, 276
2003 - Justin Leonard, 264
2002 - Matt Kuchar, 269
2001 - Jesper Parnevik, 270
2000 - Dudley Hart, 269
1999 - Vijay Singh, 277
1998 - Mark Calcavecchia, 270
1997 - Stuart Appleby, 274
1996 - Tim Herron, 271
1995 - Mark O’Meara, 275
1994 - Nick Price, 276
1993 - Fred Couples-w-p, 207
1992 - Corey Pavin-p, 273
1991 - Steve Pate, 279
1990 - John Huston, 282
1989 - Blaine McCallister, 266
1988 - Joey Sindelar, 276
1987 - Mark Calcavecchia, 279
1986 - Kenny Knox, 287
1985 - Curtis Strange-p, 275
1984 - Bruce Lietzke-p, 280
Honda Inverrary Classic
1983 - Johnny Miller, 278
1982 - Hale Irwin, 269
American Motors Inverrary Classic
1981 - Tom Kite, 274
Jackie Gleason's Inverrary Classic
1980 - Johnny Miller, 274
1979 - Larry Nelson, 274
1978 - Jack Nicklaus, 276
1977 - Jack Nicklaus, 275
1976 - Not played
1975 - Bob Murphy, 273
1974 - Leonard Thompson, 278
Jackie Gleason's Inverrary National Airlines Classic
1973 - Lee Trevino, 279
Jackie Gleason's Inverrary Classic
1972 - Tom Weiskopf, 278