About the Omega Dubai Desert Classic:
Stephen Gallacher tied the tournament scoring record of 266 to win on the European Tour for the first time in nine years. Gallacher finished three strokes ahead of runner-up Richard Sterne. The two were battling neck-and-neck until Gallacher holed his approach shot to the par-16th for an eagle.
Rafael Cabrera-Bello earned his second career European Tour victory, closing with a 68 to overtake third-round leader Lee Westwood. Westwood and Stephen Gallacher tied for second, one behind. Cabrera-Bello finished at 18-under 270.
Omega Dubai Desert Classic Records:
- 72 holes: 266 - Thomas Bjorn, 2001; Stephen Gallacher, 2013
- 18 holes: 61 - Ernie Els, 1994
Omega Dubai Desert Classic Golf Courses:
See also: Emirates Golf Club (Majlis Course) Pictures
Omega Dubai Desert Classic Trivia and Notes:
- Ernie Els is the only 3-time winner in the history of the Dubai Desert Classic.
- Nobody has won this tournament in consecutive years. Aside from Els, the only other multiple champion is 2-time winner Tiger Woods. Woods beat Els in a playoff for the title in 2006.
- Rory McIlroy's first European Tour victory (and first professional win on a major tour) was at the 1999 Dubai Desert Classic, when he was 19 years old.
- Mark O'Meara won the championship in 2004 at age 47. It was O'Meara's first official tour win since 1998, and would be his last before joining the Champions Tour.
- His victory at the 1994 Dubai Desert Classic launched Ernie Els into world stardom. It was his first victory on the European Tour. He went on to win five times total in 1994, including the U.S. Open several months later.
- Mark James won the inaugural tournament in 1989. That year, the Dubai Desert Classic became the first tournament in the European Tour's history to be played in the Middle East - or anywhere else in Asia.
Omega Dubai Desert Classic Winners:
Omega Dubai Desert Classic
2013 - Stephen Gallacher, 266
2012 - Rafael Cabrera-Bello, 270
2011 - Alvaro Quiros, 277
2010 - p-Miguel Angel Jimenez, 277
Dubai Desert Classic
2009 - Rory McIlroy, 269
2008 - Tiger Woods, 274
2007 - Henrik Stenson, 269
2006 - p-Tiger Woods, 269
2005 - Ernie Els, 269
2004 - Mark O'Meara, 271
2003 - Robert-Jan Derksen, 271
2002 - Ernie Els, 272
2001 - Thomas Bjorn, 266
2000 - Jose Coceres, 274
1999 - David Howell, 275
1998 - Jose Maria Olazabal, 269
1997 - p-Richard Green, 272
1996 - Colin Montgomerie, 270
1995 - Fred Couples, 268
1994 - Ernie Els, 268
1993 - Wayne Westner, 274
1992 - p-Seve Ballesteros, 272
Emirates Airlines Desert Classic
1990 - Eamonn Darcy, 276
Karl Litten Desert Classic
1989 - p-Mark James, 277