About the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship:
The Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship is a tournament on the European Tour schedule that has been played since 2006. The Abu Dhabi tournament is typically the first of several consecutive weeks of European Tour play in the Persian Gulf region, during the early part of the Euro Tour schedule.
2014 Abu Dhabi Championship
Pedro Larrazabal birdied the final hole, then waited to see if Phil Mickelson, in the trailing group, could make eagle to tie him. When Mickelson's eagle putt missed, Larrazabal was the champion. Larrazabal finished at 14-under 274, with Mickelson and Rory McIlroy tied for second place, one stroke behind. It was Larrazabal's third career win on the European Tour.
Jamie Donaldson fired a final-round 68 to win by one stroke. Donaldson bogied the final hole, opening the door for Justin Rose and Thorbjorn Olesen to force a playoff if either birdied the 72nd. Neither did, however, and Donaldson was the winner by one over that runner-up pair.
Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship Records:
- 72 holes: 267 - Paul Casey, 2009; Martin Kaymer, 2010
- 18 holes: 62 - Henrik Stenson, 2006
Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship Golf Courses:
The tournament has been played at the same course each year of its existence: Abu Dhabi Golf Club. A carpet of green surrounded by desert, the course is a par-72. The club also has an additional nine holes.
Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship Trivia and Notes:
- The tournament was first played in 2006 after its creation by the Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority. HSBC joined as title sponsor for the 2011 tournament.
- Chris DiMarco was the tournament's first winner.
- Martin Kaymer and Paul Casey traded victories from 2007 through 2010, each winning twice, and in alternating years (Casey in 2007 and 2009, Kaymer in 2008 and 2010).
- The Abu Dhabi Golf Championship's trophy is easily recognizable and, some would argue, one of the coolest in golf. Known as the Falcon Trophy, it shows a falcon alighting (or perhaps taking flight from or with) on a golf ball.
Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship Winners:
2014 - Pedro Larrazabal, 274
2013 - Jamie Donaldson, 274
2012 - Robert Rock, 275
2011 - Martin Kaymer, 264
2010 - Martin Kaymer, 267
2009 - Paul Casey, 267
2008 - Martin Kaymer, 273
2007 - Paul Casey, 271
2006 - Chris DiMarco, 268