About the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship:
Jamie Donaldson fired a final-round 68 to win by one stroke. Donaldson bogied the final hole, opening the door for Justin Rose and Thorbjorn Olesen to force a playoff if either birdied the 72nd. Neither did, however, and Donaldson was the winner by one over that runner-up pair.
Robert Rock held off several stars to claim his second European Tour victory, shooting 2-under 70 in the final round. Rock and Tiger Woods shared the third-round lead, but Woods wound up two strokes short of Rock, tied for third with Graeme McDowell and Thomas Bjorn. Rory McIlroy was runner-up, one behind Rock.
Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship Records:
- 72 holes: 267 - Paul Casey, 2009; Martin Kaymer, 2010
- 18 holes: 62 - Henrik Stenson, 2006
Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship Golf Courses:
Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship Trivia and Notes:
- The tournament was first played in 2006 after its creation by the Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority. HSBC joined as title sponsor for the 2011 tournament.
- Chris DiMarco was the tournament's first winner.
- Martin Kaymer and Paul Casey traded victories from 2007 through 2010, each winning twice, and in alternating years (Casey in 2007 and 2009, Kaymer in 2008 and 2010).
- The Abu Dhabi Golf Championship's trophy is easily recognizable and, some would argue, one of the coolest in golf. Known as the Falcon Trophy, it shows a falcon alighting (or perhaps taking flight from or with) on a golf ball.
Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship Winners:
2012 - Robert Rock, 275
2011 - Martin Kaymer, 264
2010 - Martin Kaymer, 267
2009 - Paul Casey, 267
2008 - Martin Kaymer, 273
2007 - Paul Casey, 271
2006 - Chris DiMarco, 268