About the Senior Players Championship:
The tournament was founded in 1983, joining the pre-existing Senior PGA Championship and U.S. Senior Open as senior majors at that time. This tourney is the senior golf version of The Players Championship on the PGA Tour, and the Senior Players Championship winner receives an exemption into the following year's Players Championship.
Kenny Perry matched the tournament scoring record in winning by two strokes. Perry shot 64 in the final round to finish at 19-under 261, matching the 261 Jack Nicklaus shot in 1990. Perry won by two strokes over Fred Couples and Duffy Waldorf.
2012 Senior Players Championship
Joe Daley won for the first time on the senior circuit, shooting four rounds in the 60s to earn a 2-stroke victory. Tom Lehman was the runner-up. Olin Browne, who finished third, set a tournament scoring record with a 62 in the second round. Daley had one career Top 10 finish on the PGA Tour, but did win twice on the Nationwide Tour. The 2012 Senior Players was his 11th start on the Champions Tour.
Senior Players Championship Scoring Records:
- 72 holes: 261 - Jack Nicklaus, 1990; Kenny Perry, 2013
- 18 holes: 62 - Olin Browne, 2012
Senior Players Championship Golf Courses:
Senior Players Championship Trivia and Notes:
- Only three golfers have won the Senior Players Championship more than once: Arnold Palmer (1984-85), Dave Stockton (1992, 1994) and Raymond Floyd (1996, 2000).
- Jack Nicklaus came close to adding a second. After winning in 1990, Nicklaus lost the 1995 tournament in a playoff to J.C. Snead.
- When Nicklaus won in 1990, he set the 72-hole tournament scoring record of 261. That was 10 strokes better than the previous record at that time. In 2013, Kenny Perry matched Nicklaus' record.
- Three golfers have won both The Players Championship on the PGA Tour and the Senior Players Championship on the Champions Tour: Nicklaus, Floyd and Fred Couples.
Senior Players Championship Winners:
Constellation Energy Senior Players Championship
2013 - Kenny Perry, 261
2012 - Joe Daley, 266
2011 - Fred Couples-p, 273
2010 - Mark O'Meara-p, 273
2009 - Jay Haas, 267
2008 - D.A. Weibring, 271
2007 - Loren Roberts, 267
Ford Senior Players Championship
2006 - Bobby Wadkins, 274
2005 - Peter Jacobsen, 273
2004 - Mark James, 275
2003 - Craig Stadler, 271
2002 - Stewart Ginn, 274
2001 - Allen Doyle-p, 273
2000 - Raymond Floyd, 273
1999 - Hale Irwin, 267
1998 - Gil Morgan, 267
1997 - Larry Gilbert, 274
1996 - Raymond Floyd, 275
1995 - J.C. Snead-p, 272
1994 - Dave Stockton, 271
1993 - Jim Colbert, 278
Mazda Presents The Senior Players Championship
1992 - Dave Stockton, 277
1991 - Jim Albus, 279
Mazda Senior Tournament Players Championship
1990 - Jack Nicklaus, 261
1989 - Orville Moody, 271
1988 - Billy Casper, 278
1987 - Gary Player, 280
Senior Tournament Players Championship
1986 - Chi Chi Rodriguez-w, 206
1985 - Arnold Palmer, 274
1984 - Arnold Palmer, 276
1983 - Miller Barber, 278