About the Wegmans LPGA Championship:
Inbee Park won in a playoff over Cattriona Matthew, claiming the second LPGA major in a row after winning the Kraft Nabisco Championship earlier in the year. Park now has three career victories in majors. Park and Matthew tied at 5-under 283 in regulation, then matched scores on the first two extra holes. On the third playoff hole, Park won with a birdie to Matthew's bogey.
2012 LPGA Championship
Shanshan Feng won for the first time on the LPGA Tour, and made it a major at the Wegmans LPGA Championship. Feng, who became the first golfer from China to win an LPGA major, had previously won several times on the Japan Tour. She claimed this title by shooting 67 in the final round to post 6-under 282.
LPGA Championship Records:
LPGA Championship Golf Courses:
The LPGA Championship from 2005-2009 was played at Bulle Rock Golf Course in Havre de Grace, Md. Prior to Bulle Rock, the LPGA Championship was played at DuPont Country Club in Wilmington, Del., from 1994-2004; before that, Bethesda Country Club in Bethesda, Md., 1990-93.
The Jack Nicklaus Sports Center course in Kings Island, Ohio, and Pleasant Valley Country Club in Sutton, Mass., are two other host courses from the past.
LPGA Championship Trivia and Notes:
- The LPGA Championship was first played in 1955, making its the second oldest tournament on the LPGA Tour (behind only the U.S. Women's Open).
- Beverly Hanson won that first tournament, defeating Louise Suggs 4 and 3 in the championship match. Yes, the first LPGA Championship ended in a match-play finale, although the first three rounds were stroke play. That was the only time match play was used in this tournament.
- When Sandra Post won in 1968, she was a rookie, just 19 years old, and defeated Kathy Whitworth in a playoff. Post was the youngest major champion in LPGA history until Morgan Pressel's win at the Kraft Nabisco Championship in 2007.
- Mickey Wright is the only four-time winner of this event. Her victories occurred in 1958, 1960-61 and 1963.
- The LPGA Championship is the only major won by Nancy Lopez during her illustrious career, but she did win it three times: 1978, 1985 and 1989.
- Beth Daniel won just one major, and it was the 1990 LPGA Championship.
- Other three-time winners are Kathy Whitworth (1967, 1971, 1975); Patty Sheehan (1983-84, 1993); Se Ri Pak (1998, 2002, 2006); and Annika Sorenstam (2003-05).
- Cristie Kerr (2010) and Yani Tseng (2011) established tournament records in back-to-back years for most strokes under par. Each finished at 19-under. Kerr won by 12 strokes and Tseng won by 10.
Wegmans LPGA Championship - Past Champions:
2012 - Shanshan Feng
2011 - Yani Tseng
2010 - Cristie Kerr
2009 - Anna Nordqvist
2008 - Yani Tseng
2007 - Suzann Pettersen
2006 - Se Ri Pak
2005 - Annika Sorenstam
View the Full List of Winners