By Brent Kelley, About.com Guide
The Basics of the Game
What are the most basic things to know about the game of golf? If you've never played golf before - never set foot on a golf course - here are some starting points.
- Glossary of Golf Terms
- How Do I Keep Score?
- How to Mark the Scorecard
- 10 Things to Know for Your First Round
The Rules of the Game
If you're going to play golf, you need to play by the rules. But in order to the do that, you first have to learn the rules, natch. So let's take a closer look at the Rules of Golf.
Learning to Play
Now that we've taken a look at some of the introductory elements of the game, and at the rules of golf, let's turn our attention to learning to play. Here are some of the fundamentals of golf, along with resources for learning more.
- The Basic Types of Grips
- The Golf Stance: How to Set Up for the Swing
- Balance and Rhythm In the Swing
- Free Golf Instruction Videos
- Tips Index: Fundamentals of Golf
- Tips Index: Driver and Iron Play (the full swing)
- Tips Index: Wedges and Sand Shots
- Tips Index: Putting
- Index of Free Golf Tips
- Shopping for Golf Lessons
- Comparing Individual Instruction and Golf Schools
Getting Around the Course
Ready to move beyond the basics and beginner tips? Take a look at articles on the full swing, about bunker play, chipping and pitching, putting and other areas of exploration.
- Warming Up Before the Round
- Pre-Round Stretches to Help Your Game
- Staying Safe on the Golf Course
- Golf Fitness