The Sarazen Bridge was constructed and dedicated in honor of Gene Sarazen's famous "Shot 'Heard Round the World," the double-eagle he recorded on the 15th hole en route to victory at the 1935 Masters.
The bridge was dedicated on April 6, 1955 - one day shy of the 20th anniversary of Sarazen's double-eagle hole-out. A plaque is affixed to the stone rail of the bridge, and that plaque reads:
Erected to commemorate the twentieth anniversary of the famous "double eagle" scored by Gene Sarazen on this hole, April 7, 1935, which gained him a tie for first place with Craig Wood and in the play-off the playoff won the second Masters TournamentAs noted - and contrary to many golfers' understanding - Sarazen did not win the 1935 Masters by holing out for double-eagle on the 15th. Rather, that hole-out made up Sarazen's 3-stroke final-round deficit to Craig Wood in one swing. Sarazen and Wood finished 72 holes tied, then Sarazen won a 36-hole playoff by five strokes.