Articles on About.com Golf authored by Wishon:
Golf Club FAQs
What is "COR"?
What is "MOI" (or "moment of inertia")?
What is "center of gravity," and how does it affect shots?
What is "bounce"?
Do course conditions and swing type influence how much bounce I need on my wedges?
What is "offset"?
Will offset clubs help my slice?
Do woods built with a closed face angle (a k a, draw bias) really help fight a slice?
What is "lie angle"?
How do cast irons and forged irons compare?
How do cavity back and muscleback irons compare?
What is a "game improvement" club?
What is "gear effect"?
Why does perimeter weighting make an iron more forgiving?
Are there industry-wide standards for the lofts of golf clubs?
Are there industry-wide standards for the lengths of golf clubs?
Why is it easier to hit a short iron than a long iron?
Why are hybrids easier to hit than traditional long irons?
What is the effect of wider soles on irons?
What is "OEM" equipment?
What are "component clubs"?
Are there any differences, besides cosmetics, in men's and women's clubs?
Do muscleback irons make it easier to "work" the ball than cavity backs?
Is it true that cavity backs are for higher-handicap players while low-handicappers are better served by musclebacks?
Why are woods curved across their faces while irons have flat faces?
Why do some golfers add lead tape to their clubs, and what is the effect?
Golf Shaft FAQs
• How are steel shafts made?
• How are graphite shafts made?
• How do steel and graphite shafts compare, and how do I know which is right for me?
• What do the letters X, S, R, A and L on the shaft mean?
• What makes finding the right shaft flex for my swing so important?
• What are the elements that go into choosing the correct shaft flex for a golfer?
• Are there industry-wide standards for shaft flex - is one company's "regular" flex the same as another's?
• What is "kickpoint"?
• Does a shaft's bend profile influence trajectory, and if so, how much?
• What is "torque," and how important a consideration is it?
• What is "frequency matching"?
• What is "spining"?
• How important a factor is the weight of the shaft?
• What is the typical lifespan of a golf shaft?
• Will heat or cold damage my graphite shafts?
• When should I have my shafts replaced?
• Do golf shafts become more or less flexible over time, or "wear out" with longterm use?
• What effect does trimming the shaft have on flex?
• If I want to cut down my shafts, should I trim from the grip end or the head end?
• I've heard the expression, "the shaft is the engine of the club." What does that mean? Is it true?
• Does the type of shaft in my putter have any effect on my putting?