Scorekeeping and Scorecards
• How do I keep score?
Birdies, bogeys, eagles, pars - what are those things?
• How do I mark the scorecard?
• What do "out" and "in" mean on the scorecard?
• What do the numbers on the "Handicap" line of the scorecard represent?
Related: Handicap FAQ
On the Course
• How long does it take to play a round of golf?
• How much does it cost to play a round of golf?
What are the different parts of a golf course?
What are the different types of golf courses?
• Which set of tees on the tee box should I use?
• How high should I tee the ball on the tee box?
When can I ask for the flag to be tended, and when should I do it for others?
What is the proper method for tending the flagstick?
What's the right way to mark a ball on the green?
• Where can I drive the golf cart on the course?
• What is golf etiquette?
• Do golf courses have dress codes?
• What's the proper way to rake a sand bunker?
• How do I fix a divot?
• How do I repair a ballmark on the green?
• Are yardages listed to the front or center of the greens?
Why are hole liners white?
Rules of Golf
• How can I get a copy of the Rules of Golf?
• Where can I get the basics of golf rules?
• What are "winter rules" or "preferred lies"?
The rules of golf
Golf Rules FAQ
See also: Golf rules at a glance - an introduction
Practice and Lessons
• Should I take lessons?
• How do I find a golf instructor?
How much do golf lessons cost?
• I'm too embarrassed to go to a golf course, but how can I get better unless I go to a golf course?
• How long does it take to become good?
See also: Golf Lessons - considerations, advice and tips
Before and After the Round
Are tee times required to play golf?
How do I get a tee time?
If I show up at a course without a tee time, will I get to play?
What happens if I'm late and miss my tee time?
• Does golf require any special physical abilities?
• Do I have to tip at the golf course?
• Why are they called "woods" when they aren't made of wood?
• How much do golf clubs cost?
• How far am I supposed to hit each club?
• How do I know which club to hit?
• I want to buy name-brand golf clubs - how do I know which brand to buy?
• How do I take care of golf clubs?
• How do you clean golf clubs?
• How do you clean the grips on golf clubs?
How many clubs are in golf sets?
• Do I have to have a full set of clubs to start playing?
• What are "game improvement" clubs?
• How do steel and graphite shafts compare, and how do I know which is right for me?
See also: Golf Clubs FAQ (focuses on the technical aspects of clubs)
• What is a "scramble" (or other tournament format)?
See: Tournament Formats/Betting Games Glossary
• Is "golf" an acronym for "gentleman only, ladies forbidden"?
• Why are golf courses 18 holes in length?
• Why do golfers yell "fore" to warn others of an errant shot?
See Also: Golf History FAQ