1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Brent Kelley

Golf Channel Taking Applications for Next Big Break

By October 22, 2010

Not every season of The Big Break on the Golf Channel has been a big winner. Some have been exciting, some have been humdrum. But the current Big Break Dominican Republic is proving a hit for the network, and on the heels of the very popular Big Break Sandals Resorts.

If you're sitting in front of the TV watching the episodes and thinking, "I am so much better than that," here's a chance to prove it. But only if you're a guy.

The Golf Channel is taking applications for the next season of The Big Break, which will feature an all-male cast. (To clarify, because this post will live on the Internet forever: This applies to Season 15, the one following Big Break Dominican Republic, to air in 2011.)

To apply, you must be a man, and you must play to scratch or better. You also must fill out a lengthy application form as the first step. Warning: The application includes essay questions!

Comments

October 23, 2010 at 11:32 pm
(1) David says:

It seems you have to be a jackass, crude, or unsportsmanlike to
be on the show. I like the concept of the show, and I have watched most of them, but it really gets old. I wish the Golf Channel would just try to get better golfers and less personality
on the show. If everybody I met on the course were like these characters, I would quit the game.

September 20, 2011 at 3:26 pm
(2) keith says:

Truly. Also the requirements are scratch or better! HAHA who is doing their score cards???

December 1, 2010 at 1:52 pm
(3) George Spilly says:

Davids comment was right on what ever happened what we girl that won Blaire teach our kids about manners and the way the game should be played,I think the only one that showed anykind was Blair. Now Mr.A-Rod said he has children I hope he did not let his children watch.
PS- Ans what about Andrew saying to Andrew what the girl said so he can now get A-Rod hey bud its golf not Rah Rah football (you RAT)

December 2, 2010 at 3:22 am
(4) Rick says:

Why does the Golf Channel make it basically impossible to appy to/for Big Break? I can never find a link, and the one supplied above is a dead end. Good concept for a show, but not really a “big break” with the people they usually put on. This one was a little different and I agree that Blair was composed/talented and came off well. All of the guys (Blake, I’ll give you a break), were total tools.

December 2, 2010 at 8:30 am
(5) Brent says:

Sorry for the dead link, guys — GC accepts applications for only a limited time, and apparently they have already taken down the one linked to above and closed the process.

December 5, 2010 at 10:06 pm
(6) mike says:

does anyone realize how badly the game was stacked against the men. all those girls were solid players, but the men’s team had intentionally fault lines installed. david is a clown . how can this guy take himself seriously at all. brian? i would beat him to death with his own clubs and throw him and his clubs in the ocean. kudos to blake. definitely most improved self control etc including being man enough to mend relationships. highest marks. keep in mind that if golf channel puts persons without fierce personalities on tv they will bore the crowd to tears. i do agree however that less chatter and more golf would be a definite improvement.

December 13, 2010 at 8:30 am
(7) david bradley says:

I would like to see and be on a show about fireman vs police with 6 or better hcps compet for a shot at getting into q-school.

January 6, 2011 at 2:08 pm
(8) sean mclaughlin says:

I would love to see a Big Break that brings in Mid-Handicappers. Instead of a spot on a tour event, the winner of the season would get to be the next Haney Project…
I am a 12 handicap with a bunch of shots in my bag, but not enough consistency in my game. I know I can get to single digits, but I doubt I will ever come close to scratch.

September 20, 2011 at 3:30 pm
(9) keith says:

Sean, just saying that shows fault in your game. You have to bring yourself to single digits, and doubting scratch is a bigger fault, and competing shouldnt even be in your thinking

October 13, 2011 at 10:51 pm
(10) Mark Hawkins says:

I’m with you Sean. I am a 6 handicap and would love a chance to be on the show. But I wasn’t born with rich parents or a trust fund from a rich relative. I try to play on the mini tours, but money becomes an issue and my family always comes first. I like your idea of the winner being the next Haney project. I think I could improve enough to make a Monday qualifier for the Nationwide Tour with his help.

January 31, 2011 at 12:23 am
(11) Jeff Thames says:

I agree with you David!! Put 6 Police Officers and 6 Firefighters out there to compete against each other with low handicaps. That would be an awesome show. I have been trying to get on Big Break and can’t, yet!! I have been playing golf for 21 years and have never had the chance to show what I can do (because I am a Police Officer and work all the time). I live on a golf course and play everyday. Come on BIG BREAK!!! Give me a chance!!

January 31, 2011 at 12:02 pm
(12) Wayne Kelly says:

I would like to be on Big Break but being a seven handicapper is not good and being Canadian doesn;t help.
I like the show a lot but, some of the golfers are idiots.

February 6, 2011 at 9:34 pm
(13) Daniel Mikish says:

I have been playing for almost 20 years now and have never had a coach or taken a lesson, kind of like Bubba Watson one of my favorite golfers these days. I have ground my handicap down to a 6-7 now and want to make a Big Break I think that have the game to do so but, kind of have no resources to be making videos like the rest of the applicants. I really want the chance to show my game and possibly get onto a mini tour to see where I can take myself. I have the utmost confidence in myself and know how to conduct myself on the course. I f anyone can give me any tips to start a career in golf I would be indebted to them.

Daniel Mikish

February 8, 2011 at 2:16 pm
(14) jim r says:

like sean m i am a high handicapper and would lke to see a show with guys like me complete for a prize. the hanley project would be great or a spot in a proam at a tourney.

September 20, 2011 at 3:34 pm
(15) keith says:

Haney haney haney! People who need help from other people are weak. Do it for yourself. Whoever says they are a 7 handicapper are probably 12 or more. Be honest people. Thats what sucks about golf tooooo many cheaters

July 18, 2011 at 5:45 pm
(16) Randy Coates says:

Golf is like being a surgeon. You have to study the x-ray before you begin to trim parts off to get to the root of the problam,the better the nerves the better surgeon you become,i am not a surgeon by trade, but i have became one hellava golfer with a 9 hanicap.As far as the game of golf my hat goes off to any one who plays the game its not easy to play the game of paitience it also can be a” LIFE SAVER”…….
It would be a dream come true to have a chance on the Big Break regardless of how well i finish just playing the game is a blessing.I play the game with every one know matter if they are a 0 handicap or 20 handicap i have followed the Big Break ever since it aired and won’t stop until they stop……….

July 20, 2011 at 9:23 pm
(17) harvey sneideman says:

I think you are missing a great opportunity by not doing a BIG BREAK for senior (65+ golfers) We , I am 70 and a 14 handicapper, are not trying to be pros, but we have an awesome list of life experiences. Most of us are dealing with some health issues and all of us thoroughly enjoy being on the golf course. There is much more human interest in watching an old silver haired gent who’s wife may have passed away or who had about of prostrate cancer. Watching this old codger sink a birdie putt and even taking 3 strokes to get out of a sand trap would really grab the attention, empathy and as I stated human interest of viewers. We play GOLF because we love the game not because we think we can make big $$$$. We are highly competitive, don’t get me wrong, but win or lose we had a great time that day! Please let me know what you think. I’m old but just got fitted for a new set of Diablo irons. They will probably last me the rest of my life!!!!!!!!!!

September 20, 2011 at 3:36 pm
(18) keith says:

Harvey! Good lordy, thats the best contradiction I have heard all day

August 19, 2011 at 1:35 am
(19) Tommy benton says:

I think that it would be cool if they had a big break for young
teens I think that would bring the interest levels UP! I’m fifteen and shoot in the 70s and I think it would be awesome to play on the big break and have a “Big Break: teen edition! Just a
thought!

October 5, 2011 at 8:47 pm
(20) John love says:

Is there a way you would be able to notify me as far as when the next sign ups are? It is my dream to play on the PGA tour. After my bad car acedent I thought I would never play again and I feel like big break would give me the opportunity to forfill my dream

November 8, 2011 at 10:19 pm
(21) Mike says:

I would love to play on the show I am a 5 handicapper and honestly think I can hold my own against the people I have seen on your show. I’m like most golfers when the competition is stronger so is my game.

November 17, 2011 at 6:57 pm
(22) Stanley Johnson says:

I have been trying for the past several years to become a contestant on the Big Break. I’am 60 and would love to compete aganist guys my own age but if not, i would not shy away from playing with the young guys either. Why not give the Older guys a try?

Mr. Stanley Johnson

September 25, 2012 at 5:28 pm
(23) Ryan Hale says:

My name Is Ryan Hale and i am an Assistant Golf Professional at The Mississippi Golf Club in Carleton Place, Ottawa and I would love to be a contestant of Big Break as well I am a people person with an awesome attitude towards golf and I enjoy every minute of the game. I also like to party which i think would make me a perfect candidate. If i got the chance on this television show I feel the viewership would go up with some wild golf shots in the bag and some long drives. So if your looking for a 23 year old man who is outgoing, knows how to have fun and enjoy the game, well you know where to find me. Thanks
Ryan Hale
P.S I have been playing since I was 8 years old and my Dad is a real shooter as well. Could get a family Big Break going

October 9, 2012 at 11:02 pm
(24) Rick says:

To me the big break should be about taking a group of guys around the 4 or less Handicap in both the seniors and PGA levels and work with them to get the big break to play a Seniors / PGA Event at year end. Take them from a 4 to scratch or better

That is what a big break is, not ex tour players trying again

October 30, 2012 at 3:37 am
(25) mike montejano says:

They should have the average weekend golfer big break with the average score of 80 n less. With a three in columns. First gets 10k.second 5k third 2500. Plus first gets a 5k shoppoind spree at dicks. And second n third get a golf pkg vacation of there choice and a knew set of clubs from any club maker they like. Who’s not going to laugh at a chunk or a slice in the trees or water. Golfs suppose to be fun. Lets have a fun n serious big break one time. If i want to see scratch golfers. Ill watch the pga tour. Think about it golf channel. Thks mike montejano

November 22, 2012 at 11:52 am
(26) Sam Cangelosi says:

I agree with the idea of a Seniors Big Break. I’m 61 a 2 time Seniors Club Champion and have been between a 0 and a 3 handicap ever since I can remember. But, the only people on your shows are young, rude kids who can play, but aren’t as good as they think and to be honest with you, are rather boring because they’ve done nothing and been nowhere. Seniors, like myself, have been a lot of places, seen a lot of life and can, maybe, spice up the show.
Even though I am a friend of Anthony Rodriguez, I can honestly say that the show was infinitely more interesting with him on it.

November 28, 2012 at 6:14 am
(27) Dannie says:

I agree with Mike. Take 12 weekend golfers, let them compete, you wouldn’t have to pay for them to play in next years tours, or any certain series, just have cash, golf vacation packages and equipment prizes. It would be a blast. Get some players who’s best wood in their bag is their pencil. There are a lot of us who play just for the sake of the game, no money or recognition involved. I think it’s the greatest game ever, I would rather be golfing than any other activity I can think of. Just think about it, it would make a hell of a series.

February 6, 2013 at 3:17 pm
(28) Sugar Rush says:

I somewhat agree with all of you. That’s what’s great about golf. there are people of all levels. The Big Break has unlimited options for that show, teens, seniors, mid-handicappers whatever. Any golf geek would give a kidney to play in a pro-am like Pebble Beach and Lake Tahoe. All of us would love cash or a vacation package. Also keith unfortunately you are right. Most handicaps are higher than people want to admit. I am a 14 that is probably more like a 10, if I made more putts.

May 21, 2013 at 2:43 pm
(29) George says:

Some of u guys I agree w fully about! Big break but again about fireman and police?? R u kidding me they always want to bin everything! No way I can beat any of u police and fireman put together!! I am around a 8-9and I know I can def beat any of u bums out there!! Which I amateur but I do have some bad days where I do make mistakes! I love tithe show I would love a chance at playing big break and cashing in w Adams golf and more!! Like everybody else! I love to party and get a chance to play PGA status or be w Haney? I think like one of guys said u have to make it w o so much help! From pros I did it all my own in 4-5 summers I can beat guys whomever great players and I can beat them so idk u guys r talking about hank for!! Do it by self I did!!

July 9, 2013 at 9:42 am
(30) dave says:

You should have a military father and son or father and daughter, mother and son or mother and daughter that have both served in the military. What a better way then to show the military that you care. As long as both the parent and child have served in our US Military or are now serving. I am a former marine who spent 11 years in the marines and my son is in the US Air Force now 15 years and has been to Afghanistan a few times.

November 12, 2013 at 3:55 pm
(31) Gene De Forest says:

I think it would be a great idea if the Big Break would put on a show with 60 years and older. I am 65 and when I was younger I did try to play professional golf, but rasing a family and having to work for a living made it real hard to give the time to practice. When I turned 50 I played a Monday qualifier and became the 7th alternate and was called the day before the tournament and asked if I still was interested in playing and said you bet. They told me to pack my bags I teed off at 9am. I did not make the cut to play the weekend, but what a great experience. I love the game of golf and I don’t hit the ball as far, but I can hold my own. I do think a show with mature older people would be something to watch. I have seen all the trantrums with all the in experienced immature young people, lets see if the older ones have the same attitudes.

January 4, 2014 at 9:42 pm
(32) robert balchunas says:

So your telling me that a 7 handicap has no chance to get on a golf show to get better for a chance at q school. Stop taking all the rich people that can make every small time tournament that don’t have to work for a living to feed their kids. So you guys are only looking for the best. This is like american idol. And idol sucks…

February 16, 2014 at 12:58 am
(33) Jkarvois says:

After reading a few of the the previous comments, it is clear that the selected competitors for previous shows do stand out as being selected for their potential for emotional collapse rather than playing ability.

The Golf Channel’s competitors should be held to the standards of both the USGA and the PGA. Taking that into consideration; None of these hacks should have a fast tracked exemption for their “bad behavior”.

If the Golf Channel wants to select competitors who’s character’s stand out more as being poor than competitive in nature to be on the show, then The Golf Channel does not deserve the privileges/EXTREME LENIENCY it is being offered.