1. Sports

Brent Kelley

Golfer Records His 51st Hole-In-One

By April 19, 2007

Mancil Davis, often called the "King of Aces," is at it again. Davis recently scored his 51st ace playing in a celebrity golf tournament at The Woodlands Country Club near Houston.

We've had some pretty good hole-in-one stories recently - the 102-year-old who made an ace; the beginning golfer (who'd never even had a birdie) who made two aces in the span of five holes ... with Rick Smith watching - but to me, 51 career aces seems pretty hard to beat.

Unless you're Norman Manley, an amateur from California who claims 59 career aces. Most of Mancil Davis' 51 aces are well-documented, and Davis is regarded as the world recordholder for holes-in-one by a professional (Davis is a PGA of America member who briefly played on the PGA Tour and was once the director of golf at The Woodlands).

Davis' Web site includes some fun factoids about his feats:

• 51 career aces
  • 10 career double-eagles
  • Made a hole-in-one with every club except putter, SW and PW
  • Has made 5 aces on the same hole (No. 2 at Odessa Country Club in Odessa, Texas)
  • Has aced all four par-3 holes on one course (Trophy Club in Roanoke, Texas, where he also served as director of golf)
  • Made at least one hole-in-one per year from 1967-87

Yep, that's a pretty good hole-in-one record. For the sake of comparison, here are the number of holes-in-one by some much more famous golfers:

• Jack Nicklaus - 20
  • Arnold Palmer - 19
  • Gary Player - 19
  • Tiger Woods - 18
  • Michelle Wie - 6
  • Fred Couples - 3

See also:
Odds of making a hole-in-one
Odds of making a double-eagle

Comments

November 19, 2008 at 10:31 am
(1) DEBBIE MCCORMICK says:

CHECK OUT ART WALL PGA PROFESSIONAL THAT WON THE MASTERS IN 1959…I BELIEVE HE HAS HAD OVER 50 HOLE IN ONES…MY HUSBAND IS GOOD FRIEND WITH HIS SON GREG WALL, PGA PROFESSIONAL AT POCONO MANOR, PA. I DONLT SEE HIM ON THE LIST…IT IS ACTUALLY DOCUMENTED AT THE GOLF HALL OF FAME.

March 13, 2009 at 12:17 pm
(2) john collins says:

I am 61 years old and feb 10 2009 made a hole in one on a 335yd par 4 all carry and 20ft of roll. Glenbrook Golf Course Houston,TX
Pro Art Lopez

May 6, 2009 at 11:12 am
(3) VALDEMAR MARTÍNEZ-GARZA says:

Do yoy know if somebody has made 2 consecutive hole in one in the same round?

July 7, 2009 at 11:20 pm
(4) JB Kenna says:

Mancil’s complete record of holes in one is posted at his new website HoleInOneKing.com

December 14, 2009 at 10:10 am
(5) Jeff Ryder says:

I would like to know what is the longest time in between hole in one’s, my first was in 1972 and my second was 12/12/2009 37 years later

May 24, 2010 at 9:03 pm
(6) Joe Alberta says:

I know of a Women in Ahwahnee CA who has 11 Hole-in-One’s what is the Record for Women in California? Her name is Alice Joyce Norman she approx. 70 some years old.

July 25, 2010 at 10:25 pm
(7) Linda Tomlinson says:

My father, Ralph Pennington, who will be 84 this August just had his 10th hole in one on June 17th at Sugarwood Golf Club, Lavalette, W.VA. He regularly shoots in the 70′s and over the past years has shot below his age so often it is just expected. He introduced me to the game at an early age and while I’ll never have his skills I did have a hole in one June 4, 2007 at Little Turtle Country Club, Westerville, OH and won $10,000 at the Gahanna Chamber of Commerce golf outing! I’m a very lucky daughter who is blessed to still be able to golf with her dad.

August 31, 2010 at 5:04 pm
(8) Ed McGurk says:

I played with Norman Manlry. big Liar. I doubt he even has 5 hole in 1s. He claimed the course record at Industry Hills in So Cal 20 years ago like a 65. He couldn’t break 80 if his lfe depended on it.

April 12, 2012 at 12:30 am
(9) TOM FULLER says:

I’ve played golf for 55 years, and have never had a hole-in-one. CRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAP!

June 24, 2012 at 4:16 pm
(10) richard vosburg says:

I have 16 aces 2 on birthdays and 4 within 30days.

July 22, 2012 at 11:48 am
(11) bill kelly says:

got 1st hole in one i week after 70th birthday

October 15, 2012 at 8:49 am
(12) John Hughes says:

Art Wall, Jr. made several holes-in-one that he never recorded. Great iron player.
On the final round of the 59 Masters, Wall birdied 5 of the last 6 holes to win the tournament.
Art Wall played occasionally and Greg Wall caddied at Glen Oaks Country Club in Waverly, PA in the mid to late 60′s.
Art Wall was a class act.

JHughes

December 8, 2012 at 4:37 am
(13) James longland says:

Hi just thought I would let you know that I (James longland) scored 2 holes in one in a competition round last week, we believe Norman Manley is the only person to have done is previously but looking for confirmation
This happened at Breedon Priory Golf Club, in Wilson England, the player is 50 yrs old and is 6&7th of his 19 year career

December 11, 2012 at 2:27 pm
(14) John Hughes says:

Art Wall, Jr was a PGA golf professional who won the Masters in 1959.

It’s my understanding that Art Wall, Jr has 45 holes-in-one in Professional Tour Events, which include PGA, European and South American Tours. He also has 9 holes-in-one as an amateur for a total of 54.

Art Wall should be mentioned on your list!

December 12, 2012 at 3:35 pm
(15) James Longland says:

Hi everyone we are trying to verify whether Norman. Manley ever recorded his 2 holes in one on par4′s and if he did was it in a competition and verified we have searched everywhere and cannot ind this and would really like some help, I’m sure you can see why we are looking for this because if it Cannot be verified I will hold the record m thanks or your help
James

July 22, 2013 at 12:43 pm
(16) John Ward says:

Does anyone know the the longest period of time between hole in ones? I made one on July 20 of this year and my last prior was on the same date in 1973. Forty years to the date.

August 4, 2013 at 6:59 pm
(17) Robert Manasco says:

I started playing golf again May of 2012 after a 40 year gap. So far in 2013 I have had 3 hole in ones. One in March, one in April and one in July. All par 3′s. I also broke 80 for the first time in my life. I now regret skipping the 40 years of not playing golf.