1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Brent Kelley

The Only Par-4 Hole-in-One on the PGA Tour

By February 4, 2007

In the history of the PGA Tour, there has been only one ace on a par-4, and it came at the TPC Scottsdale, home of the FBR Open.

The hole was No. 17, the year was 2001, and the golfer was Andrew Magee. But the circumstances were anything but normal.

Magee, just an average driver of the ball, didn't think he'd be able to reach the green on the 332-yard par-4. So he didn't wait for the group ahead to clear the green. Instead, he teed up, and - steaming over a double bogey two holes earlier - muscled up. He let her rip, and the ball went farther than he expected.

So far that it ran up onto the green while the group of Steve Pate, Gary Nicklaus and Tom Byrum were still putting. The ball raced past Pate and Nicklaus, who both saw the ball, then clanged off the putter of Byrum, who was caught by surprise.

The ball ricocheted off Byrum's putter, caromed about eight feet, and dropped right into the cup. Hole-in-one. Still the only par-4 ace on the PGA Tour, and surely one of the more unusual aces of any kind on the tour.

Follow About.com Golf: Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Comments

February 5, 2007 at 3:49 pm
(1) Dr. Detroit says:

Kinda reminds me of the time I made a par 3 on a mulligan. Did it count under the rules of golf?

February 5, 2007 at 6:25 pm
(2) Mulligan Stu says:

Yep, it counted, and it’s in the recordbooks. Crazy shot!

February 8, 2007 at 8:16 am
(3) Pete says:

Tne only ace on a par 4 should get a special award if it has not all ready…it did go off a putter….but it is an ace according to the rules…so it counts….that is what we have rules for….

And give that award quickly before we get 3 such aces in a future tournament…it will happen with more and more Pros driving the shorter par 4 holes…

February 8, 2007 at 4:46 pm
(4) bill says:

slug hime retrospectively with a two shot penalty for driving into the group in front – what sort of an example is that – as you may guess I’m slightly fed up with getting balls sprayed around my head with thes e”big accidental hitters who never think they can hit 300M” – at least until the next week when they repeat the actons with a new group. Ban them, slug them shots but in some way get the buggas!!!!! Grrrr.

May 22, 2011 at 11:19 am
(5) twlvoltz says:

Very Simple solution, turn around and fire it back at them after a previous waring in the same round. that tends to stop it . If not start leaving the pins out. and if that doesnt do it then start picking up the balls.

February 8, 2007 at 4:48 pm
(6) bill says:

Oh and fogetting the whinge – good luck to that jammy (lucky) pro – how lucky can they be.

July 14, 2007 at 5:05 pm
(7) Greg Witzke says:

I have a friend that has 3 hole in ones but they are all on par 4′s. I am wondering if this is some kind of record??!?

July 18, 2007 at 12:07 pm
(8) Gordon Blane says:

Good Afternoon,

I am sending you details of the extraordinary Par 4 “Hole-in-One” achieved by James Blane on 06 July 2007 at Badgemore Park Golf Club, Henley-on-Thames.

James, from Bledlow Ridge, Buckinghamshire is in Year 9 at John Hampden Grammar School, High Wycombe.

James (born 25 April 1993) commented:

“I have been playing golf for three years but my main sport is tennis, which I play at county level.

I am a Junior Member at Badgemore Park, (near Henley-on-Thames) where I currently play off a handicap of 19.

On 06 July 2007, (school inset day) I was playing a round with my Dad. I had a very good front nine, including a birdie on the par 4, 7th hole. My Stableford score for the front nine was 20 points. I wanted to break 40 points for the full eighteen.

The 15th hole is 303 yards off the yellow tees. It is approx 225 yards to a 90 degree dogleg and then a further 80 yards to the pin. The green is protected by two bunkers and from the tee, the green is totally obscured by a clump of tall trees.

I teed the ball up a little higher than usual and aimed toward the right, to take the “tiger line” over the trees. It was a very sweet shot and I knew that I would be on or near the green.

When I approached the green the four ball in front of us were clearing the green; I could not see my ball. One of the golfers on the green was the current Men’s Champion, who was calling out to me and pointing to the flag. I thought he was annoyed because I had driven to the green (although I had shouted “fore”) but he was in fact trying to tell me that my ball was in the hole!

I went to the flag, put my hand into the hole and retrieved my ball! At the time, I really did not realise what an achievement this was; some of my friends have said that it was a fluke but the fact is that I was aiming for the green and was hoping for another birdie.

Chris, the Junior Pro at our club was on the 16th tee when this happened!

I have always hoped for an “ace” but I did not expect to get my first one on a par 4. I would like to find out whether I am the youngest person to hole out in one for an albatross?”

This extraordinary sporting achievement has been notified to Guinness World Records as James may be the youngest golfer hole out in one, on a Par 4.

The text below is an extract from the submission to Guiness World Records.

Guiness Claim Title: Youngest Golfer to “Hole Out in One for Albatross”

Country: United Kingdom

City/Town/Village: Henley-on-Thames

Date of attempt: 06/07/2007

Record Details: James Blane, born 25 April 1993, holed out in one at Badgemore Park Golf Club on 06 July 2007 (aged 14 years). What sets this apart from other aces, is the fact that it was achieved on the 303 yard, par 4, 15th hole for an “albatross” or “double eagle”. The shot was played from the Men’s Yellow Tee and was witnessed and verified by the four golfers who were on the 15th green at the time (including the current Badgemore Park Men’s Champion). I have researched this achievement and believe that James Blane may be the youngest person to have accomplished this to date; there have been several younger golfers to “hole out in one”, but these were on Par 3 golf holes. I am advised that a “Par 4 Hole in One” has only been achieved three times (including this occasion) during the history of Badgemore Park Golf Club.

Media: N.A.

This event is not in aid of Charity

March 10, 2009 at 7:28 pm
(9) Troy says:

My friend Chris Howard got a hole in one on both a par 4 and a par 3 in the same day. It was this month. Awase Meadows GC in Okinawa Japan. This is truly a record! People get 2 aces on par 3′s all the time (I have 2 by the way a month apart!) His has to be a Guiness Book of World Records for Both par 4 and 3 in the same round folks…..

July 1, 2009 at 8:29 pm
(10) Dr. J. Albert Almendinger says:

Bill (back in 2007), I know Andrew and he is not the kind of player who would ever push the group in front of him. This truly was a total (and freak) accident. Andrew has since retired from the PGA and recovered from cancer. He will be joining the Seniors Tour shortly. He is a solid and consistent player that is not showy and an extremely gracious gentleman.

October 18, 2010 at 12:32 am
(11) golfnutz says:

i’ve had some high school kid golfers hit into me before. the first one hit and it landed about 5 feet from me. I didn’t react. Then the next guy hit and it landed about 10 feet away. I was only about 270 from the tees. I hit the second ball back at them (with an iron. couldn’t get it there). that was at a private country club where you’ll find some of the most spoiled, bratty kids in golf.

October 23, 2010 at 12:28 pm
(12) Greg Seward says:

I though I was so cool when in September 2010, I drove that same green (no one still on the green though) and drained a 40 foot undulating put for my first ever eagle on a par 4. My braggadocio was a bit derailed when a staffer told me this story after the round. How funny is that. i hear it is on Youtube. I must go look. P.S., I was playing from the white tees so landing on the green in the air from the teebox was laess than 332 yards. Still sweet, nonetheless :)

January 16, 2011 at 11:30 am
(13) brent says:

I aced a 295 yard par 4 at ponte vedra inn and club on superbowl Sunday in 2009. I carried the green on the fly and watched it roll in.. #15 on the lagoon course

September 6, 2011 at 8:48 pm
(14) Mike Kenovich says:

I had my Fourth hole in one on a Par 4 yesterday. Number 10 at Green Valley C.C. in Clermont, Florida. The second i’ve had this summer on a par 4 ! I now have 4 on par Fours, and 3 on par Threes.

Not bad for a greenskeeper. Lol !

May 28, 2012 at 9:11 pm
(15) luis hernandez says:

i had an albatros at the moon palace golf course cancun jungle #6 264 yards dog leg over the water,i knew i reached the green but didn’t find my ball until my friend asked me the brand of the ball??a cheap maxfli was inside the hole!!!!!

June 7, 2012 at 5:59 pm
(16) james bill says:

hey gordon blane there is no way I believe that
Peace man

October 14, 2012 at 12:35 am
(17) Jud Thompson says:

My son Mac Thompson had a hole in one on a par 4 at Marietta Country Club # 8 on the Overlook course on September 21, 2012. It was witnessed by Alexander Barton. Mac is 11 years old. Does that mean he now has the record for the youngest to ever have an albatross hole in one?

October 14, 2012 at 12:40 pm
(18) Brent says:

Jud, according to http://www.doubleeagleclub.org/index.php?suffix=FAQs, a 10-year-old girl in Denmark made a double-eagle in 2009.

February 10, 2013 at 3:50 pm
(19) Rich lundahl says:

I have the longest hole in one. Qualifier for the pebble beach invitational in 1993. #11 at ranch Canada east 339 yards. I don’t get credit for it and I wish I did. Hope somebody reads this. I have proof.

April 26, 2013 at 5:18 pm
(20) Danno says:

Dr. Detroit I did the same thing, but it was on a second shot from the tee on a par 3 after dropping a four iron into the water. I could have hit from a drop area but instead I up-clubbed to a five wood and holed out from 190 yards for a par. At least I didn’t have to buy everyone a drink.

October 17, 2013 at 11:42 am
(21) JJ says:

I recently carded my first ever hole in one at Deerpath Golf Course in Lake Forest (after 34 years of playing…I’m 35). It was the par 4 7th hole and measured an unofficial 305 yards. This was my first search in an effort to see how many have been recorded in history.

November 12, 2013 at 8:13 am
(22) ymh says:

63 years old , Malcolm Thomas .par 4 hole in one , orchard hills golf club NSW AU , 17th hole p4 287mtrson the 9/11/2013 .

don’t know anywhere we can keep the record for him or anything we can do for him. so happy for him anyway. but he always says not too many years left to play golf. I wish more people see this and say hello to him. I guess this old man will be very surprised .

his email address: civops@gmail.com