1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Brent Kelley

Phil Mickelson: A Hated Man?

By January 26, 2006

Jan. 26, 2006 - Phil Mickelson is one of the three most popular golfers in the world with spectators. Only Tiger Woods and John Daly match Mickelson in the level of adulation heaped on him by golf fans. The fans love Lefty.

But his peers do not. That's what GQ magazine claims in its list of the "The Ten Most Hated Athletes." It's a surprise to see someone whose public persona is so cheerful, someone who is so loved by fans, show up on a list like that. But there Mickelson is, at No. 8 "most hated" by his peers.

Here's what the magazine's article says about how Mickelson is viewed by his peers:

Last August at the PGA Championship at Baltusrol, in New Jersey, a reporter turned to a golfer on the tour and said of Phil Mickelson, "Man, the fans here love Phil." The golfer replied, "They don't know him the way we do." It blew our minds a little when we heard this, since Mickelson ranks among the most admired golfers in America. But today the same reporter makes his case bluntly: "Phil Mickelson literally has no friends out there. He annoys everybody."

Mickelson has earned many nicknames on the Tour, but our favorite is FIGJAM ... "There are a bunch of pros who think he and his whole smiley, happy face are a fraud," another reporter says. "They think he's preening and insincere."
Notice those ellipses after "FIGJAM"? The GQ article explained what that stands for, but it contains a word we can't reproduce here. But the five words following that first word are "... I'm good -- just ask me."

Of course, some of the anti-Phil feeling on Tour may stem from the fact that Mickelson is better than all but 2-3 other guys out there, and that he is truly loved by fans. On the other hand, this behind-the-scenes chatter has been consistent throughout Mickelson's career.

Update: The post above was written in January of 2006, and this update was written in April of 2010 - in the aftermath of Mickelson's third win in The Masters; in the midst of his wife's (and mother's) battle with breast cancer; in the aftermath of the Tiger Woods scandals.

I didn't take a position about Mickelson in the original post above; I don't know him, after all. But I think Phil looks better all the time, especially as his youthful insouciance turns into middle-aged wit. It's certainly true that Mickelson rubs some of his peers and some golf fans the wrong way; his sense of humor doesn't always come off the right way. That goofy grin and happy veneer convinces some that Mickelson isn't sincere. Call it the "goody two-shoes" syndrome.

But I think something Hunter Mahan said about Mickelson is very instructive. Mahan - unlike you and me - does know Mickelson. And Mahan once said this: "I remember when I came on tour. Guys told me he's a phony or a fake or whatever. Then I met him, and he's not phony, he's just kind of goofy."

That's instructive for two reasons: It shows us that relatively recently (Mahan hasn't been around that long) some of Mickelson's peers were warning rookies about him; and it shows us that Mahan, at least, took the time to find out for himself and decided the Tour gossip wasn't true.

As I said above, I can understand why Mickelson rubs some people the wrong way, but I also think Phil looks better all the time. I take him at face value, and always enjoy watching him play golf.

See also:

Follow About.com Golf: Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Comments

November 5, 2006 at 7:53 pm
(1) golffan says:

I find it hard to believe that so much of the critism on Phil Mickelson actually came from people that have actually seen him in person. I had an opportunity to see him at Pebble Beach and found him to be so courteous and polite to the fans, marshals and other staff. If it was a put on, so what!! At least he pretended to care about the people that were there. I certainly can’t say that about Tiger Woods. I saw him at Pinehurst and wished that I had saved my money. What a self-centered, conceited, all-mighty jerk!! He never even pretended to be cordial to any of the fans or staff. Instead he was escorted around like God himself and never so much as nodded to staff, fans or other players. Even his place on the driving range was away from the other players. I understand that some fans can be a pain in the neck, but his superior air was a real turn off. Give me a phony anytime if I’m paying my hard-earned money to see them. At least I came away with tired feet from following someone with good manners in public!

November 23, 2006 at 10:44 pm
(2) bobbyd says:

i agree. i have been to augusta the past 10 years. i never liked phil until i saw him during a practice round. he truly is a gentleman and is very good to the spectators and reporters. he is sincere. he is polite he is funny. tiger is none of the above. he would not even sign an autograph for a 10 year old when no one else was in the room. (i.e. the cameras were not rolling. kind of like mark mcgwire). as for vj, he may be nice, but check into his history of being kicked off the asian tour. hang in there phil…oh, did i say “hang”? i was not referring to your hang time! but you can rip it, so who cares if you can jump.

May 14, 2007 at 2:55 pm
(3) bugolf1 says:

I was at the Harbour Town Pro-Am this past April playing with Dudley Hart (probably the nicest tour pro I have ever met). I asked him about Phil because I had heard of these same rumors and he said “Are we talking about fan Phil or FIGJAM?”. He said the guy is as phoney as a 3 dollar bill.

October 19, 2007 at 2:10 pm
(4) Susan says:

As he was walking off the 18th green at the Fry’s Electronics open yesterday, in Scottsdale, AZ, he didn’t look too happy with his game. When he passed the grandstands (and me), I said, “too bad, FIGJAM”. Within 1 minute, 2 police officers stepped up to me and said “Mr. Mickelson wants you off the course”. Make your own conclusions, folks. As for me, I’m thinking there’s something to be said for the nickname he seems to have earned.

October 19, 2007 at 6:06 pm
(5) dave says:

Wow, Susan. What a jerk. I’m talking about you, not Phil. Anyone who’s a big enough jerk to make a comment like that deserves to be thrown off the course.

December 13, 2007 at 11:45 am
(6) Brian says:

My neighbor took his 5 year old kid to see the At&t Tourney this year in DC. Tiger ignored all attempts by this 7 year old to even look in his direction. Phil smiled and waved, then later spotted him and gave him a thumbs up (despite being injured on on the way to a missed cut). Woody Austin interviewed that Phil was a great guy to be around at the President’s cup. Guys like Dudley Hart and the rest of the medocrities that fill out the fields are jealous – they are afraid to talk bad about Tiger, but feel free to bad mouth Phil. Just like Tiger, he makes them more money just by showing up, but they can’t deal with the fact that he isn’t just one of the guys. Champions usually are not just one of the guys. Btw, anyone that heckles a golfer like Susan did will get tossed from a PGA event, and deservedly so.

December 14, 2007 at 10:49 am
(7) Kelli says:

Why are so concerned with getting autographs? Oh, that’s right. You will be able to make money off of it later. Otherwise, what’s the point? Anyway, I don’t know anyone of these men personally so I will never know what kind of men they truly are. Either way, they are damn good golfers. Go Tiger! You too, Phil!

December 16, 2007 at 4:03 pm
(8) Denis says:

I have been to many PGA tournaments over the years and most recently flew over to Montreal to see the Presidents Club. I saw the body language and the childiness of the great TW. I also saw Phil in action on the Sunday round against the other chip on his shoulder guy. I also saw Phil with Austin. They played well together and if there were any ill-will I sure didn’t see it. Further the Golf Channel press and a lot of pro-golfers know which side of their bread is buttered. TW is the best golfers in the world but no-one has got the magical shots of Phil and that’s one of the reasons why most people like him. And you bet, he connects with the fans… Oh and by the way, next time look at the good will of Amy and the kids…

December 28, 2007 at 3:14 pm
(9) Brian says:

Just FYI Kelli, no autographs were requested or even desired on anyone’s part. All they were hoping from Tiger was a small acknoledgement that the fans are even there and cheering for him, let alone paying for his winnings. So even if we never know them (or any celebrity) personally, the public face they put on is what determines the goodwill and affection that the fans have, and that’s one reason why Phil is so popular.

August 12, 2008 at 3:45 am
(10) bob says:

as a true player – who cares what the other players think – i love to kick you know what – i am not out there to make friends of the other players

September 22, 2008 at 2:45 pm
(11) samso3 says:

The reason he is not popular imo is that he is a huge corporate shill. Every behavior the man has is for $$$. His handlers are always trying to groom him into this gentleman corporate kiss ass and it is disgusting. He is not alone in this bs, but he is the most obvious fake at it.

February 25, 2009 at 9:00 am
(12) David says:

I crux of the article is not how the fans view Phil but is about how his peers do. All this criticism of Tiger not acknowledging a kid or stopping for every autograph is ridiculous and completely offtopic. The author never mentioned Tiger so leave him out of this. Its very relevant how your peers in any field of work feel about you and to think it would be anny different in the world of pro sports is incredibly short-sighted.

February 28, 2009 at 9:11 pm
(13) Jeff says:

This article has zero merit, and the author has zero credibility, especially in quoting an unnamed reporter.

Did said reporter ask all 220 exempt players on TOUR what they think of Phil? How many players would be forthcoming with an answer? Still, the “reporter” uses words like “…literally no friends…” and “…annoys everybody.” Trash reporting, and nothing more.

I know for a fact that Freddie Couples likes Phil, and Billy Mayfair counts Phil among his very best friends.

This type of trash is merely symptomatic of the trashy society the USA is becoming.

March 16, 2009 at 8:49 pm
(14) clay in kc says:

FIGJAM… well isn’t that just the nicest thing.

OK, so Phil thinks he is good. Big deal. He is good. He has won 35 times on tour and is the only guy in the game that some analysts and players agree could beat Tiger head-to-head when both players have their A game.

Tiger is a jerk and could have the same nickname for that matter. Why don’t they call HIM FIGJAM. He makes a big deal about how he wins sometimes without his A game. Now that is cocky.

I think a lot of his peers don’t like him because he is really good, really rich, has a super hot wife, the fans love him, and oh by the way he beats their a$$es a lot out on the course. Tiger is basically the same guy out there except he treats the fans like crap so does that mean they hate Tiger too. Yeah, probably but they are too scared and fear the wrath of the almighty Tiger.

And by the way. Who cares what Dudley Hart thinks. The next time he wins will be the first time.

August 14, 2009 at 9:12 am
(15) john says:

The sports world is full of cocky athelets not neccessarily beloved by their peers. Dale Earnhart, Roger Clemens, Iverson, TO, etc.etc.etc. So what. All these guys are draw card to their respective sports and can back up their cockiness. At least Phil is polite and nice to his fans, many are not. He and TW are the best in their sport by far, and yes they both have a right to be cocky FIGJAM. I do know that Love, Verplank, Couples and Lehman are close to Phil. All of these guys are class acts and I think that says a lot about the company you keep. It is “the thing” to do on tour to kiss TW ass and they all know TW and Phil are not close so it is like picking sides for some of the journeymen. If you remember when the classless ahole caddy for TW made the remarks that he hated Phil and it captured the media attention, it was Phil who was man enough to approach him the first time they met afterwards and offer a hand. Let Phil be the least liked on tour, he is the most loved by fans.

March 16, 2010 at 2:50 pm
(16) Jay says:

Why does Tiger’s name keep coming up? He wasn’t mentioned on the list. The argument that no one on tour wants to be on Tiger’s bad side has a HUGE flaw. You FIGJAM defenders are quick to point out that he is just as good as Tiger, he makes plenty of money and is just as powerful and popular. So why don’t they fear bring on FIGJAM’s bad side? Could it be what they’re saying is true of FIGGY and not Tiger?
When Tiger’s on the course, and even right after a round he’s focused on his job. So what if he doesn’t sign autographs or acknowledge fans. I hate when people disturb me when I’m working. We pay to SEE them, not interact with them. Everyone needs to stop acting so entitled. If FIGJAM spent more time focusing on not melting down late in final rounds and less time being fake to fans maybe he could beat Tiger.

April 11, 2010 at 6:26 pm
(17) dan says:

I would like to hear some true stories of him being a jerk. I’ve never heard any evidence. Just hype. I sat next to him on a plane one time and he was really nice. Hate the game not the player.

April 12, 2010 at 3:44 pm
(18) LD7 says:

I’m in the people business. Let me tell you how to measure a man: you measure a man by how he treats his wife, and what his wife thinks of him.

Game. Set. Match.

Those who are using unsubstantiated ‘peer rumors’ to make Phil a fake and the same kinds of people kissing up to TW — ahem, the real fake of the bunch. Just ask Elin.

Or any of TW female neighbors 18 years or older.

Phil has more character in his pinky finger than TW will ever have in a lifetime.

End of discussion.

April 12, 2010 at 7:38 pm
(19) Scott says:

hey Jay,

how did you like the late round meltdown Sunday at the Masters? oops he kinda kicked everyones ass!!

April 12, 2010 at 10:47 pm
(20) Sal says:

I think Phil might just irritate the right a**holes. It’s obvious that a lot of players like him. Couples seems especially close to him, and Freddie seems like one of the guys I’d want to hang with. I’ve also heard that Mayfair and Verplank like him, and I believe Phil’s close to Justin Leonard and Joe Ogilvie as well. I think him and Colin Montgomery got along well. My guess: Phil never bought into the cult of TW, the ultimate golden goose, and that makes him not a “team player” in PGA circles. Good for him, Tiger is an insufferable jerk.

April 13, 2010 at 9:02 am
(21) NotYou says:

Phil and TW are like all of us, some like you, some don’t!
The public comments of others influences, so on moral issues, one never knows the truth. Phil’s game matured and time has made him better because his mental ability improved. Phil excels in old school golf fan adoration! As in the whole country club fan types, I want to marry him, and he needs to be my son-in-law!!!!!

April 13, 2010 at 11:31 am
(22) S. Carter says:

LD7,

How can you call out an unsubstantiated rumor about Phil and then bring up unsubstantiated rumors about TW?

You judge a man by what his wife thinks of him? What if his wife is a gold-digger or just a jerk?

You must be a chump because only a chump would measure a man by someone else’s opinion and not by that man’s actions.

July 17, 2011 at 11:17 am
(23) Mike says:

Hey S. Carter,

Do you honestly believe that “only a chump would measure a man by someone else’s opinion and not by that man’s actions” ? Because if you do, you and every single “FIGJAM” hater is a COMPLETE chump. Just about everyone I’ve seen that hates Phil bases their assumptions on the opinions of tour players, or caddies, or reporters. You want to judge him on his actions? He’s extremely nice, respectful, and just an overall good guy. He signs autographs for kids, he’s curtious to officials, and he shows how much he is thankful to have such a great fan base. Those seem like the kind of actions I would be proud of.

So before you go on and call him a chump, consider how hypocritical you really are.

What is reality anyways? Who are we to say who’s fake and who’s real.

April 13, 2010 at 3:31 pm
(24) R Daniels says:

It would be better if the media would just let the golfers and athletes be who they are, for better or worse. They have to try to contrive some epic battle between Phil and Tiger, Jeter and A-rod; Kobe and LeBron etc. If you guys are so bored writing about the games and golf tournaments, go get a real job. Tiger seems like kind of an a-hole, Phil seems like a pretty good guy. But who knows, and who cares, I like watching both of them.

April 13, 2010 at 11:07 pm
(25) y-not says:

YAWN!!!!!

GO LEFTY!

August 11, 2010 at 6:55 pm
(26) Roger says:

Phil is the man! I was just recently at the WGC in Akron where Phil and TW both played like crap (understatement) but after round on sunday after all the t.v. interviews Phil came over and i swear it must have been over an hour that he signed autographs, not many players will sign an autograph let alone after a terrible day on the course. Phil will be number 1 after PGA championship mark my words.

April 4, 2011 at 10:27 am
(27) Justin says:

You are all pretty dumb. The article says Phil is fake to the fans and then you all say how nice and stuff he is to the fans. Well no crap, he is acting like the nice guy and the tour knows he isn’t. And sorry Tiger doesn’t praise every one of you when he is trying to do his job. Yes it’s golf but it’s his career and he is trying to win. Without Tiger no one watches golf.

April 6, 2011 at 10:29 pm
(28) Carol Reis says:

All of you people out ther who criticize Phil Mickelson probably lack the character that their hero, Tiger Woods has! Phil has ALWAYS been there for his wife, good and bad. As someone said, Phil Mickelson has more character than Tiger Woods will EVER HAVE! When his daughter turns 16, Ekin better keep them apart; we all know what Tiger Woods craves; he love’em young!

And let us not forget his behavior on the golf course during a tournament on TV; how many times have we seen him act like a sore loser? More than I can count! I can’t count how many times he’s tossed a golf club, dropped a club, and thrown in a few curse words over the years! Real good example for kids, Tiger! I applaud you for being such a wonderful role model! And you opened you foundation for what reason? To teach character to kids! What a joke! Your father would roll over in his grave for the pain that you caused your family as well as your fall from grace in professional golf! I used to be one of your biggest fans-now, I could care less if you play or not. And, for God’s sake, why don’t you see your own kids? Have they wronged you in some way? You make me sick!

July 19, 2011 at 7:04 pm
(29) sumo says:

i speak has i found,i followed Phil during the 2nd roundin troon come to first par 5 and there was nearly an hour wait.there was only 5 of us on the tee and he was genuing and chatty,he was class

September 7, 2011 at 11:12 am
(30) doug says:

Somehow tiger ended up in the conversations. I dont know if you people know this but the article is about PHIL MICKELSON.

November 18, 2011 at 10:02 pm
(31) Ryan says:

If someone is ALWAYS nice to the fans, then they are nice. How can people say that someone is “faking” being nice when they’re always nice?? Nice is as nice does. A Person who is Nice to people, is Nice.

Way to go Phil Mickelson. Way to be a Nice guy. Way to acknowledge the fans and be friendly EVEN if you are faking it. Thanks for trying.

And I’ll bring up Tiger again. Would it hurt to smile to fans, sign some autographs, wave to little kids?

To be loved, you have to show some love.

May 2, 2012 at 9:46 pm
(32) Jim says:

All I have to say is that I can see how Phil is an easy target here… He’s obviosly got a little swagger and he earns a ton of $$$$ like 60 million a year $$$$$ and he does seem like a bit of a douche sometimes in interviews.

BUT

When most guys just brushed past me when I was 12 years old at the 2002 PGA Championship when asking for autographs (Tiger was the worst), after his final round, Phil stayed around signing autographs for everyone and their dog… it must have been for at least an hour and a half. That alone in my opinion shows alot about a person. Maybe he is doing it because he wants to be popular, but he made alot of people happy that day. So for all you haters out there… suck it!

May 8, 2012 at 5:27 pm
(33) Captainsarge says:

Heard a story from several fellow golfers in the DFW area about Phil ignoring a group of First Tee kids at the Colonial in Fort Worth, TX. All the other golfers were interacting with these kids and several of them tried to see Mr. Mickelson (I will not say that word), but he ignored them. Maybe he didn’t see them. Maybe he was trying to concentrate on his game. I don’t know but none of us know what is going through the minds of any of these pros when they are playing, preparing, or practicing. They may be zoning out and concentrating so heavy on what they are doing that they can’t see anyone at all. Let’s acknowledge that great players are human also and they ALL have issues. Try to be adults and realize you are watching golf, which is a sport. You as parents and not the athlete need to be the role model.

October 1, 2012 at 9:46 pm
(34) Sal C says:

If more people were like Phil, the world would be a better place.
Phil and Amy’s work outside of the course is to be commended.

January 22, 2013 at 5:06 pm
(35) Brian says:

Screw Mickelson. If he doesn’t want to pay taxes to our country, whose infrastructure and society helped make him rich, then he can go move in with Gerard Depardieu in Russia and join the Siberian tour and see how he likes that. Millions for playing a game and it’s not enough.

April 11, 2013 at 3:45 pm
(36) Chris S says:

I love the whole Phil is nice to the fans so that means he’s nice! He’s in the business of marketing – marketing his image to fans. He wants to be like Arnold Palmer, because you make more money when the fans think they know you and feel good about you. Michael Jordan was a notorious jerk, but his marketing made him appear to be the prince of grace, kindness and good humor. His team mates all say otherwise. It’s good business to cultivate your image, and Phil is doing that to perfection. His smiles and constant thumbs up while walking up the fairway appears to be so contrived for the sake of image.

May 3, 2013 at 12:14 pm
(37) Web says:

Probably nobody commenting here knows Phil personally, so it is truly all opinion. So my opinions are also just opinions, but I am trying to reflect on what I have seen on the tube and what I hear about his interaction with the fans.

Given what Amy & his Mom went through, it appears to me that he is a good husband and son. He appears to adore his kids.

Phil founded & donates to Birdies for the Brave ($100 per birdie & $500 per eagle). They founded The Phil and Amy Mickelsen Foundation, whose mission is to operate exclusively for charitable, educational and/or scientific purposes, for youth & families. He also supports the Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy, the Special Operations Warrior Foundation, & Homes for Our Troops Inc.

If Phil’s autograph signing was only for show, one would think that a) he would make sure more of that got into the media, & b) it would be more of a token act (10 minutes). Who goes out for “show” and spends 90 minutes doing so?

Remember Kyle Stanley’s collapse at Torrey Pines in 2012 & then his uber impressive win the next week at the Phoenix Open? In between those two tourneys, Phil’s “Bones” Mackay, longtime bagman for Mickelson, shares, “After Kyle finished the way he did in San Diego, Phil reached out to him and spent some time with him during the week, talking about golf, talking about disappointment & success”. And Phil wasn’t doing all that great himself at the time, shooting 77-68 & missing the cut at Torrey.

So….you can say it is all circumstantial….and truly, it is merely what I consider to be evidence of who Phil is … for me … but where there is smoke, there is generally fire. And for me, the smoke of these good things indicates a fire in Phil’s heart to do good and be a good person.

If you are set out to deceive the public all the time, you are eventually going to lose interest in that and you will screw up a LOT. If you are consistent in doing good, though, it is pretty likely that it is not just a show.

June 16, 2013 at 11:03 am
(38) Tracy says:

I got to sit next to Phil and his family a few years ago on the Veranda at Augusta National while he was eating lunch with his family during a practice round..one of the nicest guys ive talked to. It was during his wifes cancer battle and he took the time to speak with me and my friends. We didnt want to intrude while he was spending time with his family and he actually struck up the conversation with us. We are all Augusta locals and he commented on how much he loved coming every year and how much his family enjoyed it also. He seemed like the kind of guy you could drink a few with to me.

July 21, 2013 at 8:02 pm
(39) Scott Skink says:

Phil does make a ton off endorsements and certainly could be viewed as a corporate shill by his contemporaries. But maybe that’s because he’s also won 40-something tournaments so gets more camera time to shill his sponsors. I dunno, maybe professional jealousy has something to do with the FIGJAM moniker.

The guy has kept his marriage going strong and obviously cares about family. He’s had the same caddy (Bones) for 20 years. A caddy who notably was in tears after Phil won The Open today.

Tiger defenders are the folks for whom Nike’s “Winning cures everything” tagline resonates. I feel bad for them.

July 22, 2013 at 10:45 pm
(40) Leon says:

Most golfers I imagine secretly don’t like Tiger or Phil. It’s pure jealousy. These two have been the best golfers in the world over the last 20 years. They get the most money, most fans, most media attention, and they are regularly winning tournaments — thereby preventing the rest from doing so. All the other golfers live in Tiger and Phil’s shadows… and they are bitter about it.

The reason why they are more forthcoming about hating Phil over Tiger is because the former is the less powerful of the two. Tiger is the face of golf in the 21st century. He is the ultimate cash cow. The PGA Tour practically caters to him at every whim. Speaking out against Tiger is probably very taboo.

July 23, 2013 at 2:22 pm
(41) tony says:

As the world gets more and more crass, people of Mickelson’s demeanor stand out starkly against that. Golfers aren’t known to have the most of personalities anyway, so they can take a lesson from Phil, even if they fake it.

July 23, 2013 at 2:46 pm
(42) vanwely says:

I liked the way both Zack Johnson and Angel Cabrera went out of their way to shake Phil’s hand after the Open win. That says a lot from those two guys. As a PA sufferer, I naturally pull toward Phil and I like his interview answers. He is willing to take a chance and give insightful opinions rather than just the same old “play it one hole at a time” stuff you hear from most of the others.

August 5, 2013 at 11:54 am
(43) BeckerHead says:

Mickelson is a “brand.” He is coached to be the opposite of Tiger because that’s the only way he can distinguish himself.
The writer of this article stated correctly, Mickelson is sill not a very popular player. He is referred to as the David Simms (“Tin Cup”) of the PGA with almost all of his “family photo” ops after tournaments manufactured for TV and his public “face.”
He is a very good player, but will only be known as one of the top 25 players in the PGA.

February 27, 2014 at 11:04 pm
(44) Greg says:

Common guy’s, really? Everyone who write here have no idea what this man is like. Unless your family, friends, or all the many charities he gives money to, or has founded with his wife, you have no validity to your comments. Let’s just watch the game, and appreciate the skill. Stop wasting your time putting another person down. Don’t throw stones, you may be hit yourself.

April 15, 2014 at 10:01 am
(45) bob says:

I’ve been an official in Phil’s group for many rounds of golf. He’s always treated me respectfully and politely. He is not a phony. I see it more as an awkward effort to try and be nice to everyone when your not naturally so outgoing, like Arnold Palmer is. Phil knows inside that he is more successful and most likely better than the fans, but knows that he shouldn’t behave that way. He is just awkward about it, kind of like Paul McCartney.